Photo: Rebuilding Alliance
GlobalGiving launched the Coronavirus Relief Fund on Jan. 27, 2020. Later that week, I boarded a flight to Geneva to attend a humanitarian conference. The World Health Organization, headquartered nearby, had placed signs around the conference center with basic information about the virus, but no one was wearing masks or socially distancing. These gatherings are a great opportunity to network, share, and generate ideas while connecting with old friends and colleagues we’ve worked with around the world. Needless to say, there was lots of hugging and handshaking. That feels like a lifetime ago.
For the past year, you’ve been an inspiration to me and the entire GlobalGiving team. While you’ve been busy adapting to new realities of the pandemic and caring for loved ones, you also made time to share your resources and help deliver COVID-19 relief to frontline workers and families around the world.
With your support, last week we awarded 89 emergency grants totaling more than $2 million to nonprofit organizations helping communities in more than 25 countries.
You can find the entire list of grantees at the end of this update. Here’s a snapshot of how these hardworking teams are continuing to serve their communities through the pandemic.
- The Partnerships with Native Americans team is working across tribal lands to bring food, Personal Protective Equipment (PPE), and other emergency relief supplies to tribes, many of whom are still experiencing lockdowns and precarious conditions.
- Port Elizabeth Mental Health is delivering critical mental health support to children, and youth and their families in the Port Elizabeth region of South Africa, which has been at the center of the latest surge of COVID-19 cases.
- International Medical Corps’ teams are supporting vaccination efforts in refugee camps in Jordan. In the Azraq refugee camp, they are the main provider of health care services.
- Fresh Spirit Wellness for Women is assisting women in Texas who have been verbally, emotionally, physically, or sexually abused. They operate a women's shelter and an out-care program for women from all walks of life who are in search of healing and support.
- LIFE ElderCare is delivering meals, groceries, and essential supplies for people age 60 and older in California.
- Abraham’s Oasis is providing residential care for abandoned children and support for surrounding communities in Ethiopia’s Tigray region, which is affected by both COVID-19 and impacts from the conflict that’s escalated there in recent months.
Since January 2020, your contributions powered:
- $8.4 million in funding for vetted nonprofit organizations
- 355 emergency grants
- Relief for communities in more than 70 countries
Some hopeful news has come to light since I last wrote to you. Globally, reported COVID-19 cases have decreased for the third week in a row. And four types of vaccines have been approved in different parts of the world and are slowly becoming available and being administered (my colleague Sami Adler outlined vaccine distribution efforts in this helpful article).
The many reasons that have moved you to give your time and money to meet needs created by this pandemic are what makes the GlobalGiving community so special. Thank you.
In gratitude and solidarity,
Sandrina + the GlobalGiving Team
List of Grantees:
Alaska Sudan Medical Project
Alawite Islamic Charity Association
American Friends of the Spafford Children's Center
Asia Society for Social Improvement and Sustainable Transformation, Inc.
Ask The Paediatricians Foundation
Association for Dalit Women's Advancement of Nepal
Autismo en Voz Alta
Bahini Educare Foundation
Baobá - Fundo para Equidade Racial
Bethlehem Arab Society for Rehabilitation (BASR)
British Red Cross
Casa de la Amistad para Niños con Cáncer
Charity Foundation 'Change One Life'
Civic Assistance Committee
Color of Change
Community Foundation of West Texas
Comunidad Maya Pixan Ixim
Customs Health Care Society
Dako Foundation For Rural Healthcare And Education
DCWC Nepal - Development of Children and Women Center
Downtown Women's Center
El Centro Popular para América Latina de Comunicación
Environmental Camps for Conservation Awareness
FASOL- Fondo Acción Solidaria, AC
First Nations Development Institute
Footprints 4 Sam
Fresh Spirit Wellness for Women Inc.
Friends of Burkina Faso
Fundación Madre María Luisa Casar
Fundación San Genaro
Fundación Pro Eco Azuero
Fundo Casa Socioambiental (CASA)
Global Hope Network International
Global Need Burkina
Great Plains Tribal Health Board
Hadleigh Castle Trust Fund
Health Opportunity Partnership and Empowerment in Africa
Himalayan Life Switzerland
International Medical Corps
Karachi Down Syndrome Program
Karama Organisation for Women and Children's Development
Mt. Calvary Center for Leadership Development
My Friend's House, Inc
National Association of Free and Charitable Clinics
Native American Advancement Foundation
Near East Foundation
Nepal Youth Foundation (NYF)
Pak Mission Society
Palliative Care Education and Research Consortium
Partnerships With Native Americans
Port Elizabeth Mental Health
POWER- People Organized for Westside Renewal
Proyecto Impacto Consultores, AC
Reach Out and Feed Philippines
Samaritans (Central London Branch)
Starfish Greathearts Foundation
Teens Unite Fighting Cancer
Texas Low Income Housing Information Services
The DO MORE FOUNDATION Trust
The Rotary Club of Chelmer Bridge
The Small World
Tomorrow's Youth Organization
Tropical Health and Education Trust (THET)
Union of Health Work Committees
Women's Health Specialists of California
Photo: Autismo en Voz Alta
Photo: The DO MORE FOUNDATION Trust