Together with you, we continue to improve the lives of children with severe mental and physical development in Russia!
With your support during last 2 months we helped 7 children with mental and physical disability and most in need of assistance by paying for medical and rehabilitation courses. There are significant improvements in the mental and physical development of each child.
Catching a few times a month throughout the year, Andrey (the name is changed) already has very good results on the rehabilitation program «Ski Dreams». Because of mental challenges, Andrey, has to try hard to concentrate during skiing, which allows him to listen and repeat the request the instructorhas made. Andrey may ride on the slope together with instructor, performing complex tasks. Andrey learns not only skiing, but also everyday he tries to communicate with other children, to be more alert and settled.
Another 28 children in Russia are waiting for our assistance this year.
Have a good day and remember to tell your friends about the opportunity to help children with Diema's Dream on GlobalGiving!
By Anastasiya Starobykhovskaya | Program Coordinator
We sincerely thank you for your support of our project on the Global Giving!
Together with you in 2016 we continued to improve the lives of children with severe mental and physical development!
We would gladly would like to share with you the results of this year.*
With the help from Global Giving, we conducted 11 training dog-therapy sessions with 25 children in orphanage for children with disability in Moscow. These children have severe multiple disabilities - mental retardation, cerebral palsy, speech underdevelopment, visual and hearing impairment.
We have worked with this center for 3 years and we see positive changes:
• children become better overall,
• reduced muscle spasticity,
• improving coordination,
• iimproved emotional state,
• improved speech and other communication skills,
• developing cognitive activity,
• become more self-reliant.
We continued to work on the Verticalization of 18 children with severe disabilities living in an Elatma`s orphanage (Ryazan region). Our Verticalization Program takes children who have been bed ridden their entire lives and gets them upright and even walking! Every day in the orphanage 2 assistants are engaged with each child – dress and fitting orthopedic devices, they motivate children to walk and walk a lot. Twice we came with orthopedists from Moscow to inspect all the children involved in the project – who needed new orthopedic devices, who needs treatment in Moscow, and we looked at new children who need verticalization.
13 children in 2016 have been treated at the clinic of the Federal Bureau of Medical and Social Expertise in Moscow. Each child was given an individual examination and treatment program (drug therapy, electrical stimulation, magnetic therapy, acupuncture, massage, physical therapy, etc.). This year 2 children have been given operations on their legs – the operations went very well and the doctors fell very positive about their future!
Through comprehensive work on verticalization, the children had many positive developments.
• All children have learned to stand themselves,
• Walk completely on their own or with the support of an assistant or with a walker,
• strengthen the muscles of the whole body, especially the neck, back, legs,
• Children continue to grow in height and weight gain,
• become more attentive, sociable, and smiling, showing more interest in the world around them,
• develop intellectually,
• Improve the process of eating, and other vital functions,
• all become more independent and mobile, moving more and more confident, making it easier to care for children and enhances their development,
• as a result of these changes, these children have greater integration in the social environment (for example, children were walking in the street).
Also, one child who was thought to be deaf, started showing signs of hearing after she was up and receiving therapy. Perhaps she never felt a “reason” to hear during her neglect as a completely bed ridden child!
DEVELOPING AND EDUCATION
We continued to provide sessions on methodology "Portage" in Elatma`s orphanage from May to November - 5 experts held 2664 sessions with 18 children. Thanks to these sessions the development of skills among children in areas of motion, self-service, knowledge, language, socialization. So many children have already learned:
• to wash, dress, comb their hair
• eat and drink,
• crawl, lie on their stomach, sit, roll over, stand or walk,
• put together puzzles, stringing beads, paint, cut, make applications, to distinguish between colors, animals and learn different things, consider look at books,
• they are making sounds for objects, actions, desires so their speech is developing.
• communicate and play with each other and with adults, to get acquainted with the world - they come out of their chambers, they began to walk on the street, so they have improved socialization. Moreover, in some children the skills obtained without the help of an adult - and in fact all of these children were bedridden and were considered "futile"! But our experience shows - even in children with very severe impairments, they have development potential and their quality of life can be significantly improved! We cordially thank you for your support of our children - without you, their development would not be possible!
We wish you health, happiness and prosperity in the New Year! And stay tuned, making donations and telling your friends about us, for our children an opportunity to develop - the best gift! For next year, we plan to continue to work on all these areas - we need your support!
By Debra Cockrell, Elena V., Anastasia S. | Diema's Dream Team
Dear Friend and Supporter!
Together with you we helped 13 children with cerebral palsy from all over the Russia during last 3 monthes with rehabilitation funding in total $41,120 Support of GlobalGiving donors are important for us!
We thank you for your support of our project!
Every child in need is important! Together we change their live to the better. For example Ilya K. (name has been changed) learn how to put the lower the foot to the floor. For him it is a big progress and hope to learn to stay and the walk!
We want to share with you the news of the Ilya’s treatment. Ilya is the second child in the family. His childbirth was very heavy. Ilya was born with two tight entanglementsof the umbilical cord, and then he immediately got to the intensive care unit. Despite the hardship that befell this young child, Ilya suffers daily routines and traveling to medical treatment centres. At the moment, Ilya does not hold his head steady, he cannot sit on their own, but he can take a few steps with support. The family of Ilya is poor and they are not able to pay his treatment.
We paid for him a course of treatment at the center of "Sakura" in Chelyabinsk.
Here is what his mother writes about his results of the treatment: «During the treatment Ilya slightly decreased the muscle tone, but the muscles are still strained. He began to lower the legs to his feet, before he stood on his tiptoes. He also learned to stand on his knees with the support. Thank you with all my heart!».
Ilya and 12 children with the families send to you their gratitude and a smile!
We wish you good day and all your dreams come true as well!
Project reports on GlobalGiving are posted directly to globalgiving.org by Project Leaders as they are completed, generally every 3-4 months. To protect the integrity of these documents, GlobalGiving does not alter them; therefore you may find some language or formatting issues.
If you donate to this project or have donated to this project, you can recieve an email when this project posts a report. You can also subscribe for reports without donating.