Photo from IsraAID - "Search and Rescue team"
It’s been six months since a devastating 6.2-magnitude earthquake struck central Italy. Since then, tremors and earthquakes have continued to rattle the nation, and many affected communities are enduring a harsh winter. Because of this, ongoing rebuilding and recovery efforts are more challenging.
To recognize the six-month mark since the August 2016 earthquake in central Italy, starting February 24th at 9am EST GlobalGiving will be matching donations 100% to Italy earthquake relief projects found here:
Thanks to thousands of generous donors like you, our nonprofit partners have continued to provide immediate relief, like shelter and clothing, as well as taking part in long-term recovery efforts like rebuilding damaged schools. Here are the latest updates from projects that your donation has supported:
- Immediately after the earthquake struck in August 2016, the Italian Red Cross delivered emergency relief, like meals, mobile kitchens, and basic supplies. The organization continues to provide earthquake information and advice for people in affected areas as aftershocks continue to rock the region.
- IsraAID is supporting “families still living in relief camps by distributing much needed winter supplies as temperatures plummet to -18 Celsius” (-0.4 Fahrenheit). On survivor said to the IsraAID team when they returned with a new round of supplies, "I'm very happy to see you again...it is a gift for us when we, the Amatrice community, need it the most.”
- Mission Bambini continues to rebuild schools and has taken on a project to rebuild a canteen and kitchen for a school that was completely destroyed. When the canteen is built, the students will be able to have hot meals again during school days.
- ActionAid supported and promoted coordination efforts when the initial earthquake struck. Their team focus was placed on increasing transparency for how rebuilding efforts were coordinated and managed. The team then started a service offering legal advice to citizens regarding post-earthquake support.
- Fondazione La Stampa Specchio dei tempi onlus has been focused on rebuilding schools that were damaged or destroyed in Arquata del Tronto.
- Fondazione Francesca Rava Nph Italia Onlus is focused on rebuilding three schools: a kindergarten for 125 children, a secondary school for 180 students, and a primary school for 225 children.
- IBO ITALIA is transporting volunteers and supplies to relief camps where citizens’ homes, livelihoods, schools, and churches were destroyed. They are also planning a summer camp for children that survived the earthquake to get away from the area providing “a serene and carefree environment with leisure activities that will help them, psychologically and behaviorally, to relieve stress and fear accumulated over the last months.”
Thank you for supporting these projects through the GlobalGiving Italy Earthquake Relief Fund! These vetted GlobalGiving partners were there for the immediate relief efforts and continue to stick by communities in Italy to provide ongoing recovery and rebuilding.
Please #StandWithItaly, donate to one of the eligible projects, and share with your friends and family!
Photo from ActionAid-"The destruction in the wake"
Photo: Fondazione La Stampa Specchio dei tempi onl
Photo: Fondazione Francesca Rava Nph Italia Onlus