Countdown to Clean Water in Alugude & Durbe

by HOPE International Development Agency Vetted since 2015 Top Ranked Effective Nonprofit Site Visit Verified


The community of Alugube & Durbe have asked HOPE to help them gain access to clean water. Currently only 36% of the village have safe water at their disposal. The remaining 64% know that when clean water is available for them as well, health will improve, children will be able to attend school regularly, more food will be grown and adults will have more time to pursue economic-related activities which will benefit their families and community. Clean water will bring hope for their future.

total goal
monthly donors


In rural Ethiopia women and children often walk from two to six hours to collect water. When there is no local water system, people collect water from shallow, unprotected ponds, springs, and streams that are often contaminated by the environment or livestock and waterborne illnesses are prevalent. This means family members are often ill and struggle to work and earn needed money to improve their lives. This is the sad reality for many families in the rural village Alugube & Durbe.


HOPE has worked in this region of southern Ethiopia for over 30 years. During this time it has developed a two-pronged approach. Firstly, HOPE works with the community to build a water and sanitation infrastructure, capping a nearby spring and channeling clean water to the village, whilst also building wash and water points so everyone can to access clean water locally and safely. Secondly HOPE teaches health, hygiene and sanitation education to improve health and opportunity for the future.

Long-Term Impact

By having a local source of clean water in the village, 1,986 people will have a future with hope. Disease and death rates will fall (we predict there will be a 50% reduction in waterborne diseases and a 25% reduction in eye-infections, of which we will be monitoring). As 231 pit latrines are also planned, open defecation will also reduce, improving sanitation. HOPE also ensures that the local government and water bureau take an active role in supporting the community after the system handover.

Additional Documentation

This project has provided additional documentation in a DOCX file (projdoc.docx).


What we do to bring clean water
Why clean water is so important
A two minute video of what we do

Organization Information

HOPE International Development Agency

Location: London - United Kingdom
Website: http:/​/​
Facebook: Facebook Page
Twitter: @HOPEInterUK
Project Leader:
Julie Cole
London, United Kingdom
Have a concern about HOPE International Development Agency? Contact GlobalGiving.
$1,673 raised of $156,724 goal
9 donations
$155,051 to go
Donate Now
Donating through GlobalGiving is safe, secure, and easy with many payment options to choose from. View other ways to donate
Add Project to Favorites

Help raise money for this important cause by creating a personalized fundraising page for this project.

Start a Fundraiser

Learn more about GlobalGiving

Teenage Science Students
Vetting +
Due Diligence


Woman Holding a Gift Card
Gift Cards

Young Girl with a Bicycle

Sign up for the GlobalGiving Newsletter

WARNING: Javascript is currently disabled or is not available in your browser. GlobalGiving makes extensive use of Javascript and will not function properly with Javascript disabled. Please enable Javascript and refresh this page.