We Stand With Greta -- Waterloo Bridge,15 Apr 2019
Today, April 15, 2019, people were dancing on the Waterloo Bridge barriers that normally separate traffic from pedestrians: the bridge was closed to traffic, and people of all ages rallied there to support the climate. Many carried creative signs expressing their concern for the planet and its continued ability to sustain life as we know it. I have included a selection of photos from the event in this Report:
- Some young students were inspired by Greta Thunberg, a Swedish schoolgirl who initiated the school strike for climate action in November 2018 (photo 1). At Davos she pointed out, "We all have a choice. We can create transformational action that will safeguard the living conditions for future generations. Or we can continue with our business as usual and fail."
- Another pair of young ladies carried signs urging us to save the planet, and berating those who deny that there is a climate problem for which we are responsible (photo 2).
- A young man carried a sign that sets out our choice quite simply: change or face extinction (photo 3).
- A middle-aged man carried a banner to remind us, there is no Planet B (photo 4).
- Unless you were out there today, the photo of young people dancing with the London skyline behind them is something you have not seen before (photo 5).
- And last but not least, was a simple message written on the pavement in chalk: "MORE TREES PLEASE" (photo 6).
This is where Climate Action Now comes in!
In the first quarter of this calendar year, from the joint efforts of Climate Action Now as well as IAHV and N0CO2, we funded the planting of 17,230 trees, yielding over 172 days of work for the tree planters.
N0CO2 has now financed planting of a total of 93,345 trees. We are only 6,655 trees away from the 100,000 tree milestone. Please help us get over the line!
GlobalGiving is launching its Climate Fund Campaign now, which runs from 9am ET on Monday April 15 and ends at 5pm ET on Monday April 29. On Earth Day, Monday April 22, GlobalGiving will offer cash prizes. Six projects will be selected for a year-long slot in the GlobalGiving Climate Fund through this campaign.
Please help Climate Action Now become a winner by signing up for regular monthly contributions between these dates if you possibly can. Otherwise, even a one-time contribution is helpful, as winners will be assessed based in part on the number of unique donors. We will use the funds to plant trees through our very efficient tree-planting partner.
Remember, by planting trees you can offset the CO2 that you are responsible for emitting when you take a plane or drive a car. Otherwise, that CO2 accumulates in the atmosphere and warms the planet. To avoid catastrophic climate degradation, we have to take responsibility for our emissions, and contributing to Climate Action Now is an easy way to do that.
Thank you for all that you do!
The Climate Action Now Team
Save Our Planet -- Waterloo Bridge,15 Apr 2019
Change or Extinction-- Waterloo Bridge,15 Apr 2019
There is No Planet B-- Waterloo Bridge,15 Apr 2019
Dancing for the Planet Waterloo Bridge,15 Apr 2019
More Trees Please -- Waterloo Bridge,15 Apr 2019