AfE participant receives FP graduation certificate
Thank you for your continued support and contribution to ECF’s Action for Equality (AfE) programme committed to raise Gender Equitable Boys in Pune, India.
At ECF, during the period December 2018 to February 2019, we have completed implementing cycle 22 - Foundation Programme and have started with cycle 23 - Action Programme. Leadership Programme has also been simultaneously being implemented in both the cycles.
During this period:
- AfE Foundation Programme (FP): This is the first stage of the AfE programme. ECF team reached out and enrolled 274 new boys across 20 communities in Pune. Out of the 274 boys a total of 185 boys have graduated from the programme.
- AfE Action Programme (AP): A total of 188 FP graduates are currently enrolled in the second stage. We have started with the training sessions with the boys in the communities.
Action Programme aims to build on the FP curriculum to enhance participants knowledge and skills enabling them to take actions. Some of the themes covered under AP are: gender norms, gender socialisation, influence of patriarchy, protectionist approach, victim blaming and learning from women's experiences.
- AfE Leadership Programme (LP): This is the third and final stage of the AfE Programme. Currently 172 boys from 18 communities are enrolled in LP.
Leadership Programme seeks to achieve change in community gender practice through three approaches: focus on issues relevant to the communities, harness the power of the communities and use tools at hand.
It offers a skill based approach to working with young boys, developing their skills such as public speaking, critical thinking, research, problem solving and campaigning. The approach of leadership development goes beyond a prevention model of working i.e. one that not only aims to support boys to act in gender equitable ways individually, but also collectively as gender advocates in communities who can organise and influence others to act in more gender equitable ways.
Few of the key programme highlights during this period are as below:
Foundation Programme - Action Events:
- Action events mark the completion of the AfE programmes. Hence, action events were conducted by the participants across 20 communities to mark the completion of cycle 22 Foundation Programme.
- Participants chose various methods to share information on identified priority areas, such as: gender discrimination and exploitation of women's rights, street sexual harassment, women's safety and Human Rights for All.
- Methods such as poster presentations in the busy lanes of the communities, discussions and quiz with community members, messages through singing local songs were used by the particpants to conduct the action events.
Big Meet and Greet event (BMG)
- A total of 154 graduates out of 185 FP graduates attended the cluster BMG event on January 6th, 2019.
- The objective of this BMG event was to facilitate networking amongst programme graduates from different communities. Most importantly, engage boys in discussions, activities and critically reflect on the effects of gender roles and gender norms based on their experience.
- Also, to motivate boys to continue participating in Action for Equality programme.
AfE Longitudinal Evaluation Study
- Our Research, Development and Evaluation (RDE) team has started with the AfE Programme Longitudinal evaluation study.
- The study aims to understand the sustainability of the programme outcomes i.e. attitudes, behaviours, knowledge and skills among participants who graduate from the Action for Equality (AfE) programme and provide recommendations for further development.
- As a part of this study, interviews with LP graduates who have completed all the three stages of AfE programme were conducted.
As of February 2019, together with your support, ECF has been able to successfully reach out and enroll 5339 boys to Action for Equality programme. A total of 3037 adolescent boys have graduated and pledged to become allies with women to support gender equality in the communities.
We thank you for your contribution and supporting our mission, to raise every boy in India to be Gender Equitable.
Action event to advance Human Rights
Boys discuss about AfE with local police officer