| Jun 12, 2018
Action for Equality - Progress update 2018
Participants engaged in AfE Programme sessions
Our mission is to raise every boy in India to be gender equitable.
ECF's Action for Equality (AfE) programme aims to equip boys in Pune, India with knowledge, skills and encourage peer support to collectively challenge discriminatory social norms related to gender based violence. Eventually, we envision adolescent boys working together to raise awareness, mobilise communities and take actions to promote gender equality by challenging existing discriminatory gender norms.
AfE programme is a 60 week intensive programme and is therefore implemented in three stages:
- Foundation Programme (15 weeks)
- Action Programme (15 weeks)
- Leadership Programme (30 weeks)
During AfE programme sessions adolescent boys are able to critically reflect on existing gender norms, including concepts of masculinity in order to change their attitudes and behaviour. Further, the programme discussions equip and enable participants to initiate and take actions within their families, peer groups and communities to address relevant gender issues.
During December 2017 to March 2018:
- a total of 277 boys enrolled in AfE Foundation Programme and 218 boys graduated.
- In addition to this, a total of 155 boys are currently undergoing the AfE Leadership Programme.
As of March 2018, together with your support, ECF has been able to successfully reach out and enroll 5065 boys to Action for Equality programme. A total of 2852 adolescent boys have graduated and pledged to become allies with women to support gender equality in the communities.
Some of the examples of gender equitable actions taken by AfE programme participants are:
- collaboration with community women for identifying critical issues such as: access to safe and clean community toilets, public street lights for safety, discriminatory gender role in waste management etc.
- conversations and engagement with local community police officials and key community stakeholders for addressing women safety issues in the community
- challenged ongoing discriminatory cultural practices such as child marriage in Bhimtola community, Pune
We thank you for your contribution and supporting our mission, to raise every boy in India to be Gender Equitable.
Graduate pledge against Street Sexual Harassment
Participants conduct events in the community
AfE graduates are felicitated with certificates