| Feb 10, 2023
Malaria and HIV/Aids Training Session in Abokobi
Venue: Abokobi, Ga East Volta Region, Ghana
- 9:00 AM – DEPARTURE: Departure of AFAWI Interns from Adenta, Ghana to Abokobi, Ga East, Ghana by uber.
- 09.30 AM: TEAM ARRIVAL AT ABOKOBI WOMEN’S CENTRE
- 09:30 AM – 09.45AM: TEAM SET UP
-09:45-11:00 – REGISTRATION: Siobhan, Hannah, Kayla and Hala began registration of the women, Hala took pictures of each of the women to add to their profiles. All women were given the questionnaire on arrival and hand out sheet. Any questions which had been unanswered in the previous session were followed up. Interns Perrine and Amy arrived with Marlene following the cancellation of one of the venues. Naa told all participants to come to Abokobi Womens centre. These women were then grouped into their 10 and sent to the different locations for the training.
11:00-11:10: INTRODUCTION AND OPENING PRAYER:The meeting started with a welcome by Jennifer explaining our plans for the training .Then Jennifer asked one of the women to conduct an opening prayer.
- 11:10 AM – 11:30 AM – ADMINISTRATION TASKS: The projector was set up by Siobhan, Hannah and Kayla. Water was provided to the participants, any additional women at the wrong location were organised and set to the correct groups.
- 11:30 AM – 11:50 AM– POST FINANCIAL LITERACY QUESTIONNAIRE AND PRE-QUESTIONNAIRE: Siobhan read out the post financial literacy questionnaire and pre malaria, HIV/AIDs questionnaire. Jennifer translated this for the women while the other interns helped the women answer any questions.
- 11:50 AM – 12:00 AM– BALANCE SHEET EXERCISE: Kayla went over the exercise from the Financial Literacy Training Session, in this she looked at balance sheets and checked that the homework had been completed.
-12:00 PM – 12:20 PM – MALARIA TRAINING: Siobhan presented the presentation on Malaria with Jennifer translating the information
-12:20 PM -12:45 PM – HIV/AIDs TRAINING: Hannah presented the presentation on HIV and AIDs with Jennifer translating the information
-12:45 PM -12:50 PM CLOSING PRAYER: Jennifer thanked the women for coming to the training and asked for a closing prayer. One of the women offer a closing prayer and the women sang together.
-12:50 PM – 12:55 PM: PARTICIPANT DEPARTURE: Siobhan and Jennifer completed the TNT form and provided monies to participants along with lunch.
-12:50 PM – 13:20 PM: LUNCH: AFAWI interns and staff ate lunch
-13:20 PM - DEPARTURE OF AFAWI TEAM TO ADENTA OFFICE, GHANA
The conduct of the second training for the Livelihood Project can be seen as a successful training day. Of the 20 anticipated women, only 11 were present at the second training. Whilst this is disappointing the content of the session was seen as successful and highlighted a positive response from the previous training and learnt skills displayed. The session included and initial prayer led by Jennifer and a small reflection on the previous financial literacy. Here it was evident the participants had reflected on the Financial Literacy session and had used the Balance Sheets within their own businesses. The training session started quiet busy, however, once the presentations began the women were very engaged, answering questions and showing interest. The consensus from the training was that most of the women were aware of Malaria and HIV/AIDs but were not as aware of all the precautions to take to help prevent infections.