I. Project overview:
27 November – 02 December 2017
- To build capacity (campaigning skillsets: community organizing, communications and project management) for the local young climate activists who will carry out campaigns in communities affected by climate change.
- To provide local young activists with tools and tactics to strategically fight against coal expansion in their provinces.
- To build a network of campaigners in the south.
28 youth: 23 university students, 1 high school student, 1 university lecturer, 3 non-governmental organization workers
8,348 raised, 5,405 used, 2,943 remaining for follow-up projects.
II. Project overall evaluation:
- Although the camp was delayed to November due to insufficient funding in time, VCLC 2017 went well overall. Lots of potential climate leaders had been found from different backgrounds: students, lecturers, photographers, NGO staffs, etc. They had participated enthusiastically during the camp and keep in touch after the camp.
- Participants learnt about issues of climate change and environmental degradation.
- Participants were equipped with skills and knowledge about leadership, teamwork and 350 campaigning skills.
- The best 5 projects submitted by the camp participants in January 2018 will be supported by VCLC fund.
III. Follow up:
VCLC 2017 will be followed up by the below activities
1. In January 2018, we will collect camp participants’ project plans
and choose the most promising ones to support financially. The
result will be announced by March.
2. For next camp, VCLC 2018, we start planning and applying for
fund/grants in order to execute the project in other region of
Vietnam, such as central or northern region.