Education  Nepal Project #53735

Creating child-friendly Learning Center in Nepal

by SAATH (Social Service Awareness Raising and Advocacy for Tranquility and Humanity)
Creating child-friendly Learning Center in Nepal
Creating child-friendly Learning Center in Nepal
Creating child-friendly Learning Center in Nepal
Creating child-friendly Learning Center in Nepal
Creating child-friendly Learning Center in Nepal
Creating child-friendly Learning Center in Nepal
Creating child-friendly Learning Center in Nepal
Creating child-friendly Learning Center in Nepal
Creating child-friendly Learning Center in Nepal
Creating child-friendly Learning Center in Nepal
Creating child-friendly Learning Center in Nepal
Creating child-friendly Learning Center in Nepal
Creating child-friendly Learning Center in Nepal
Creating child-friendly Learning Center in Nepal
Creating child-friendly Learning Center in Nepal
Creating child-friendly Learning Center in Nepal
Creating child-friendly Learning Center in Nepal
Creating child-friendly Learning Center in Nepal
Creating child-friendly Learning Center in Nepal
Creating child-friendly Learning Center in Nepal
Creating child-friendly Learning Center in Nepal
Creating child-friendly Learning Center in Nepal
Creating child-friendly Learning Center in Nepal
Creating child-friendly Learning Center in Nepal
Creating child-friendly Learning Center in Nepal
Creating child-friendly Learning Center in Nepal
Creating child-friendly Learning Center in Nepal
Creating child-friendly Learning Center in Nepal
Creating child-friendly Learning Center in Nepal
Creating child-friendly Learning Center in Nepal
Creating child-friendly Learning Center in Nepal
Creating child-friendly Learning Center in Nepal

Summary

Dhanushadham lies in the southern belt of Nepal. The Musahar population in Dhanushadham is the most vulnerable and marginalized in terms of access to resources. At a learning center in Govindpur, Dhanushadham, 190 children are provided informal classes with the support of 3 facilitators who belong to the same community. Our project aims to educationally empower and encourage children from the Musahar communities to build their capacities out of school and support the facilitators.

$25,000
total goal
$19,105
remaining
59
donors
2
monthly donors
9
months

Challenge

As per Cowley (2016), 21.9% of Musahar were literate to a basic level and the community ranks 129th out of 130 ethnic groups for literacy in the country. The rate of school dropout is high with low retention. Only about 8% of children from the communities stay in school up to grade 5 and the other 92% drop out before the age of 10. 37% of girls marry before the age of 18 and 10 percent are married by age 15 according to Human Rights Watch. The case is no different in the Musahar community.

Solution

This project will support the children to become confident in academics through the regular coaching class and build their capacity through twice a month workshops. Regular informal classes will be conducted in the community by facilitators who have attended and graduated from high school and belong to the same community. Training will be provided to the facilitators introducing them to creative and engaging methods of teaching and learning.

Long-Term Impact

In the long run, the project will have an increased rate of school enrollment and retention by 30%. With girls in the community continuing their education in schools, the rate of delayed marriage will increase. The sustainability will be ensured by passing on the project to the trained members of the community who can continue educating more children in the near future. 190 children of the Musahar community will have increased learning opportunities with trained facilitators in place.

Resources

Organization Information

SAATH (Social Service Awareness Raising and Advocacy for Tranquility and Humanity)

Location: Lalitpur, Province 3 - Nepal
Website:
Facebook: Facebook Page
Project Leader:
SAATH Official
Lalitpur, Province 3 Nepal
$5,895 raised of $25,000 goal
 
86 donations
$19,105 to go
Donate Now
lock
Donating through GlobalGiving is safe, secure, and easy with many payment options to choose from. View other ways to donate

SAATH (Social Service Awareness Raising and Advocacy for Tranquility and Humanity) has earned this recognition on GlobalGiving:

Help raise money!

Support this important cause by creating a personalized fundraising page.

Start a Fundraiser

Learn more about GlobalGiving

Teenage Science Students
Vetting +
Due Diligence

Snorkeler
Our
Impact

Woman Holding a Gift Card
Give
Gift Cards

Young Girl with a Bicycle
GlobalGiving
Guarantee

Sign up for the GlobalGiving Newsletter

WARNING: Javascript is currently disabled or is not available in your browser. GlobalGiving makes extensive use of Javascript and will not function properly with Javascript disabled. Please enable Javascript and refresh this page.