This project integrates rural technology that is easy to construct, socially acceptable, economically viable and environmentally friendly to strengthen rural livelihoods and reduce women’s drudgery.
Poor rural communities’ face shrinking water resources, forest degradation, lack of appropriate agricultural technologies, poor market linkages, and drudgery of women. Women’s status is miserable due to heavy workload and poor returns from agriculture. Project beneficiaries are marginal farmers, women, and rural artisans. The project empowers village communities to alleviate poverty by including them in project planning and decision-making. Labor contributions from farmers are required.
• Involve community in project planning, implementation, & evaluation
• Build capacity for village institutions & farmers
• Demonstrate and promote low-cost rural technology
• Ensure demand for interventions by requiring farmer labor contribution
• Women’s empowerment
• Increased farmer income
• Better nutrition and health from vegetables
• Reduced degradation of natural resources
• Strong communities and institutions
• Demonstrated a project model to scale up for Uttaranchal state
This project has provided additional documentation in a Microsoft Word file (projdoc.doc).
SIMAR paper on women in Uttaranchal
Uttaranchal Women Farmers
District: Chamoli, Uttaranchal - India
Brij Mohan Kandpal