Low-income DC children being mentored by UPO FGPs
Today, youth make up 16% of the world’s population, the largest ever in history. Children around the world experience extreme poverty.
Children in Washington DC make up 21% of the Districts population, 26% of DC’s youth experience poverty.
There were 36,707 children living in poverty in Washington DC in 2015 according to an ACS Census.
More than 15,000 socioeconomically disadvantaged DC children at 60 volunteer sites including Early Head Start/Head Start centers, Elementary Schools and Children’s Hospitals, receive over 180,000 volunteer hours of service annually from dedicated UPO Foster Grandparents (UPO FGPs)
- The children receive tutoring, mentoring, social emotional support and are assisted in learning programs by UPO FGPs in cooperation with school systems.
- The children derive the benefit of verified outcomes of improved school readiness and K-12 success.
- The children are given a warm mix of academic acumen, nurturing and much needed attention by their UPO FGPs, which these low-income children so richly deserve.
- The children are the beneficiaries of UPO’s mission to Unite People with Opportunities thanks to the generosity of volunteer UPO FGPs.
Youth continue to act as community leaders and peacemakers. The theme for International Youth Day on Saturday August 12, 2017, is “Youth Building Peace” to recognize the youth efforts in creating sustainable change. Every day our children give us hope for a better future and a reason to fight for it.
GlobalGiving has announced the International YOUTH MATCH CAMPAIGN WEEEK, which will benefit its partners whose programs work for the benefit of children like we do in “Support UPO’s Foster Grandparent’s Program”.
Starting on Monday, August 7th at 9:00am EDT until Saturday, August 12th at 11:59pm EDT
- UPO will be eligible to receive a 100% Match on online donations made to “Support UPO’s Foster Grandparent’s program during the YOUTH MATCH CAMPAIGN WEEEK.
- Additionally UPO will receive a 100% Match on all recurring donations to “Support UPO’s Foster Grandparent’s Program” started during the YOUTH MATCH CAMPAIGN WEEEK.
We are truly grateful for your past support.
Please join in honoring our generous Super Heroes, 200 volunteer UPO FGPs, in gratitude for all they do daily for more than 15,000 low-income DC children by make a generous donation during this YOUTH MATCH CAMPAIGN WEEK, at least equivalent to your past donation, to “Support UPO’s Foster Grandparent’s Program”!
Your generous gift plus the 100% Match will help to make a significant difference in the lives of low-income children in DC.
One more request. Please share this message with family and friends.
Low-income DC children being tutored by UPO FGPs