Health  Mali Project #1666

Health care for 30,000 slum residents in Mali

by Mali Health Organizing Project Vetted since 2008 Project of the Month Site Visit Verified


This project will be provide 35% of the funding and technical consulting to catalyze a sustainable slum clinic for maternal and child health for 30,000 people.

total raised
monthly donors


Despite being part of a city, many of the residents of Sikoro are three kilometers from a paved road, and equally distant from water or medical care. Women often give birth on the side of the road on the way to the clinic, and one in four children dies before age 5 (DHS). There are over 30,000 people living in this area. A community-run clinic that also works on public health (mosquito nets, vaccination) is a socially appropriate and accessible way fuel for development.


We will provide 35% of funding, furnishings, and supplies. We will help the community clinic board to fundraise the remaining 65% locally, legalize their committee, train personnel, and permanently run the clinic from user fees and gov't funding.

Long-Term Impact

The project will create a selt-sustaining clinic to improve health outcomes by providing health and maternal care to 30,000 slum residents. This will improve well being, livelihoods, and the community's ability to create healthcare change!

Additional Documentation

This project has provided additional documentation in a Microsoft Word file (projdoc.doc).


Project Website
Interview with the US Coordinator
Technology, Health, and Development Blog

Organization Information

Mali Health Organizing Project

Location: Durham, NC - USA
Website: http:/​/​
Facebook: Facebook Page
Twitter: @Mali Health
Project Leader:
Caitlin Cohen
US Coordinator
Westminster Station, Vermont United States
Have a concern about Mali Health Organizing Project? Contact GlobalGiving.

Funded Project!

Thanks to 250 donors like you, a total of $14,627 was raised for this project on GlobalGiving. Combined with other sources of funding, this project raised enough money to fund the outlined activities and is no longer accepting donations.

Still want to help?

Support another project run by Mali Health Organizing Project that needs your help, such as:

Find a Project

Learn more about GlobalGiving

Teenage Science Students
Vetting +
Due Diligence


Woman Holding a Gift Card
Gift Cards

Young Girl with a Bicycle

Sign up for the GlobalGiving Newsletter

WARNING: Javascript is currently disabled or is not available in your browser. GlobalGiving makes extensive use of Javascript and will not function properly with Javascript disabled. Please enable Javascript and refresh this page.