| Dec 8, 2023
Aarushi girls day and night residential home
Aarushi Children’s Home for Girls, under the umbrella of Salaam Baalak Trust (SBT), is steadfast in its commitment to providing high-quality services to girls rescued from challenging and vulnerable circumstances. Our dedicated team at Aarushi tirelessly works to create a nurturing environment conducive to the holistic development of these girls.
Thanks to the invaluable support of our Donors, we have been able to extend our assistance to a total of 85 children. This report aims to encapsulate the various activities and initiatives undertaken during the challenging times of the pandemic, highlighting the profound impact of our collaborative efforts.
- Fostering Comprehensive Development: Our primary goal is to facilitate the holistic development of the girls residing at CHG, encompassing their physical, emotional, and intellectual well-being.
- Empowering with Life Skills: We are steadfast in our commitment to equipping these girls with essential life skills that will pave the way for a secure and prosperous future, providing them with the tools they need to thrive.
- Cultural Enrichment: To continue celebrating a diverse range of festivals and cultural events, fostering a sense of unity, cultural appreciation, and a positive overall experience for the girls at the home.
Education: Aarushi Children’s Home places a strong emphasis on enabling girls from diverse and vulnerable backgrounds to access education and utilize this support to elevate their lives. we have been able to provide educational opportunities to 23 girls through formal schooling. This includes extending educational support to girls with special needs, which has significantly improved their confidence levels and focus on education.
Motivating children who have experienced elopement and child marriage has been a challenge, but our dedicated staff's continuous efforts have led to the successful support of 11 girls through the National Institute of Open Schooling (NIOS). Notably, one girl achieved an impressive 70% in her 12th-grade examinations and is currently pursuing an advanced diploma in Office Management. Additionally, 50 girls in short-term stays have received educational support through Non-Formal Education.
Health: Ensuring good health is a fundamental right for every child. Girls who come to us often hail from financially disadvantaged backgrounds where health is given low priority. Our challenge is to guarantee their well-being. To this end, we provide a nutritious diet consisting of three hot cooked meals, milk, eggs, chicken, fruits, and supplements including calcium, iron, and multivitamins. Regular meditation is also encouraged.
During this reporting period, we handled four pregnancy cases, conducted thorough investigations on 22 children, organized dental and health camps on our premises, and provided mental health support. To address the trauma many of our children have experienced, we employ a team of mental health professionals, including a full-time psychologist, and access to a psychiatrist when needed. We held 272 psycho social sessions, 101 referral sessions, and 21 group sessions, reaching a total of 70 children. Forty children benefited from 14 counseling sessions.
Security Services: Ensuring a safe and secure environment is paramount, particularly as we occasionally receive cases with safety concerns. We have implemented 24/7 security services with guards stationed outside the premises to safeguard the children.
- We celebrated the arrival of a new life as one expectant young mother successfully delivered a healthy baby girl. Both mother and baby are in excellent health and high spirits.
- Twenty-two of our girls are actively pursuing their education through formal school systems, and we are delighted to report that the majority of them have achieved commendable scores in their first terminal examinations.
- One of our girls embarked on a journey of personal and professional growth by enrolling in an Advanced Diploma program in Office Management.
- We celebrated a vibrant array of festivals, fostering a sense of unity and cultural appreciation among our girls, enriching their overall experience at our home.
- Motivating Girls Who Have Experienced Elopement: Inspiring girls who have endured elopement experiences to fully engage in their education and career development, thus ensuring a stable and prosperous future post-rehabilitation, remains an ongoing and formidable challenge.
- Rehabilitating Girls with Special Needs: The successful rehabilitation of girls with special needs presents distinct and intricate challenges, necessitating specialized attention and tailored support systems.
- Addressing Pregnancy Cases: Effectively managing situations involving pregnancy among the girls under our care is a multifaceted and sensitive challenge, requiring a delicate and empathetic approach.