Maison de la Gare has received donations totalling more than $8,000 (or £5,000) from over 180 donors since joining GlobalGiving and GlobalGiving UK in the spring of this year (2012). A very gratifying recent spurt of donations from the UK in response to Janek Seevaratnam’s sacrifice of his magnificent and much-admired dreadlocks has brought total givings close to our current objective of $10,000 (£6,375). This has stimulated us to reevaluate our suggested donation amounts and the overall financial objective.
Our many donors have responded generously to some proposed contributions, and less to others. Our redesigned donation suggestions reflect this, while at the same time representing five of Maison de la Gare’s major strategic thrusts. The five proposed donations are:
- Nutritious baguettes for talibé students, an essential requirement to make it possible for children to be able to attend classes or sporting and other activities for a few hours instead of begging for their food on the street.
- Clothing, including a shirt, shorts and simple shoes, to replace or upgrade the single outfit of heavily worn clothes that each boy has.
- Medical care for malaria, skin diseases, eye infections and much more, from which so many talibé children suffer. This includes resources for supply of mosquito nets, compresses, bandages, cotton, alcohol, betadine soap, sutures and much more.
- Funding of soccer tournaments for up to 200 talibé boys, a unique opportunity to bring some fun and healthy physical activity to their very difficult lives. The funds cover the costs of water, photos and prizes.
- Registration of talibé children in formal schooling, including the cost of school fees, notebooks, pens, pencils, erasers, books and school bags.
Your donations through GlobalGiving are making a very important contribution to financing Maison de la Gare’s activities. However, the project is on-going, and we will have to increase the financial objective from time to time as donations are received. At this time, we are increasing our objective to a total of $12,500 or approximately £7,900.
We are enormously grateful for your generous response to this opportunity to make life better for the talibé street children, and hope that we can count on your continued support.
Project Reports on GlobalGiving are posted directly to globalgiving.org by Project Leaders as they are completed, generally every 3-4 months. To protect the integrity of these documents, GlobalGiving does not alter them; therefore you may find some language or formatting issues.
If you donate to this project or have donated to this project, you will get an e-mail when this project posts a report. You can also subscribe for reports via e-mail without donating.
We'll only email you new reports and updates about this project.
Support this important cause by creating a personalized fundraising page.Start a Fundraiser