Happy Holidays From the XSProject Team!
As we wrap up another year, it is hard to believe that XSProject has been partnering with GlobalGiving for 5 years. It was November 2009 when we posted our first project report.
In January, we met our original funding goal of $35,000. XSProject set another goal of $50,000 and, because of generous donors; we are well on our way to funding that amount.
The needs of the trash pickers in Jakarta continue to grow as more families have difficulty finding work and become part of this community.
XSProject has expanded the services and support to the community to include medical attention and workshops for young women and mothers who live there. The fact that Retno and her team have been able to gain the trust of these often skeptical trash pickers to participate in these programs is a huge step forward.
- With the Jakarta Rotary Club, XSProject vaccinated 100 adults for tetanus.
- For the first time in their lives, all the mothers received dental check-ups, cleanings and treatments if needed.
- Working with a local hospital, XSProject hosted a series of 4 workshops, taught by registered nurses for the young women and mothers. Conducted right at the open garbage dump, these informal workshops taught them about keeping the family healthy with good hygiene habits and preparing nutritional meals. Other topics included family planning and sexually transmitted diseases.
- The hospital administration and XSProject partnered to offer free medical treatment to all women and children. At the workshops, they received an identity card that allows them free treatment. XSProject is then billed for the services at a reduced rate.
- As an extension of these workshops, each Friday, XSProject takes baskets of fresh fruit and vegetables to the community. For the mothers, being able to provide nutritious food and snacks, especially for their children, encourages healthy habits.
- In September, all the women received complete eye examinations. Thirteen required reading (non-prescription) glasses and 11 needed prescription eyeglasses. Three adults will need surgery for cataracts.
Most of the men who pick through the trash remain fearful of any medical treatment. Yet they are the ones who most need it. Only by educating the entire family can we encourage the men. This is our challenge for 2015.
XSProject is so grateful for your donations. We wish you and your family a very happy holiday season. We hope you will continue to support us in 2015. Please contact us if you have any questions or if you are planning a trip to Jakarta and would like to visit us.
Grandmother's First Eyeglasses
First Trip to the Dentist
Grandmother Gets a Vaccination