gift card reading 'Spread Joy' Looking for holiday gifts? Give the gift of giving with a GlobalGiving gift card! Shop Gift Cards

Loan Scheme for Disadvantaged Young People

by JOPA CARPENTRY WORKSHOP AND TECHNICAL SERVICES Site Visit Verified
Loan Scheme for Disadvantaged Young People
Loan Scheme for Disadvantaged Young People
Loan Scheme for Disadvantaged Young People
Loan Scheme for Disadvantaged Young People
Loan Scheme for Disadvantaged Young People
Loan Scheme for Disadvantaged Young People
Loan Scheme for Disadvantaged Young People
Loan Scheme for Disadvantaged Young People

Summary

For years Jopa had been equipping young disadvantages people in the Buwenge area with skills in carpentry, tailoring and knitting, hair dressing and mechanics to allow them to gain employment or set up their own businesses. There is a problem in accessing start up capital for this group and there is a clear need to support these people further to allow them to set up their own businesses and become financially independent.

$332.18
total raised
5
donors
0
monthly donors
2
years

Challenge

JOPA offers skills training to disadvantaged young people who are unable to meet their and their dependant's basic needs and trained 121 people in 2016. JOPA estimates that 20% of the graduates have secured employment or have started small enterprises. The other 80% remain without work and live in poverty because they cannot access loan financing. This vulnerable group continue to live in poverty and need further assistance.

Solution

JOPA has developed a Loans Programme that it will offer to its graduates. Graduates will be trained on business management, will complete an application outlining a viable business plan, and will sign a Loan Agreement. JOPA will monitor the progress of each enterprise at 3, 6 and 12 months. JOPA will set up a Loans Committee to manage loans and will ensure that loan repayments will be used to offer further loans to graduates.

Long-Term Impact

1. The business and life skills of the people of Buwenge will improve. 2. There will be an increase in the household incomes of JOPA graduates. 3. There will be more successful small enterprises operating in Buwenge. 4. JOPA will have a self sustaining Loans Enterprise Programme.

Organization Information

JOPA CARPENTRY WORKSHOP AND TECHNICAL SERVICES

Location: KAMPALA, UGANDA - Uganda
Project Leader:
Henry Ntende
mr
KAMPALA, UGANDA Uganda

Funded Project!

Combined with other sources of funding, this project raised enough money to fund the outlined activities and is no longer accepting donations.
   

Still want to help?

Support another project run by JOPA CARPENTRY WORKSHOP AND TECHNICAL SERVICES that needs your help, such as:

Find a Project

Learn more about GlobalGiving

Teenage Science Students
Vetting +
Due Diligence

Snorkeler
Our
Impact

Woman Holding a Gift Card
Give
Gift Cards

Young Girl with a Bicycle
GlobalGiving
Guarantee

Sign up for the GlobalGiving Newsletter

WARNING: Javascript is currently disabled or is not available in your browser. GlobalGiving makes extensive use of Javascript and will not function properly with Javascript disabled. Please enable Javascript and refresh this page.