Girls Education Mission International during the first quarter of the year 2022, with support from the TY Danjuma Foundation and in collaboration with Plateau State Universal Basic Education Board was able to build capacity of 62 teachers and supervisors of Education and provided their schools with (1000 text and workbooks) instructional materials across 56 schools of Central Senatorial Zone of Plateau. These teachers are now empowered to transform education in their various schools as they are well equipped with skills to deliver quality teaching to their pupils. The impact of the training is seen in the life of girls we support at where these girls now have access to quality education as they get to learn under quality teachers.
The participants were thought Pedagogy; Curriculum Planning; Child Protection and social inclusion; Teacher’s Role and Code of Conduct, Digital Literacy and supervisors report writing and mentoring.
What worked well.
- It obvious from the analysis below that most of the teachers that had very low understanding of the topics before the training showed great deal of understanding after the training.
- Only 14% of the participants have attended a training before.
- The participant gets to read and present a communique to the Executive Chairman PSUBEB.
- Availability of instructional materials greatly improved. 1000 Text and workbooks successfully distributed to participating schools.
What participants liked most about the training:
- More experience and the knowledge acquired.
- The way the facilitators presented their lessons and the materials distributed.
- The opportunity given to the participants to express what they learnt at the beginning and end of each day.
- The facilitators were knowledgeable of the topics they presented, and the training centre was conducive.
- The group discussions and the topics that were taught.
- It was well organized; the organization officials were very kind and united.
- There was no nepotism, the feeding was good and also the accommodation.
- Time management was good.
- The aim of the training was achieved.
- The new ideas that were introduced e.g., concept mapping and digital literacy.
Impact story from beneficiaries:
“I want to specially show my profound gratitude to you for the support and care. Indeed, the organisation's financial support and generosity made this training not only possible but meaningful and impactful. Your philanthropic gestures cannot be taking for granted. You have chosen teachers and education and you chose humanity and the Nigerian child. Because you gave yourself to be a voice for the common man, your selfless service and philanthropic support will surely be rewarded by God.” PANGKHINA
“I am short of words to express my gratitude of what your organisation have impacted in me. on behalf of myself and the entire education authority in Mangu local government area, I say thank you very much, by the special grace of God I am stepping it down after the training”. BISE
“I wish to show my appreciation to your organisation for service to humanity. Indeed, I am one of the supervisors who were lucky to attain workshop you sponsored for a week which tries to link teachers’ welfare with quality and standard. I really benefitted so much which will help to improve my capacity as a supervisor for quality monitoring and evaluation for better teaching and learning process in our schools. I promise to ensure that what we received are rightly stepped down to our fellow teachers who are not privileged to attend this befitting education upliftment and the right knowledge to sustain the education industry in Plateau state and Nigeria at large” HAMIDU
“I want to appreciate you so much for your laudable contribution in the areas of teachers training in your organisation..so as to meet up with the educational challenges. As a beneficiary of the program, we learnt many things such as child right, methodology, corporal punishment and the three domains of learning. We the trainee shall be ambassadors of your organisation and shall carry the message to our colleagues for a change and improvement in the quality and standard of education in Plateau State, my local government, and my school”. ISA
“I want to appreciate you...for finding me worthy to be sponsored in this workshop. I cannot thank him enough for imparting so many skills in me to be a better teacher. Apart from learning immensely from the training, I had the privilege to write a communique, an additional skill acquired during the workshop since I had never written any. Indeed, the training was organised for me”. YOHANNA
Personal commitments made by participants
- I will always engage my learners in the teaching and learning process.
- I will attend to special children with disabilities and also use digital resources in the class.
- I will give respect to my head teacher, community leaders and fellow colleagues.
- I will use all the methods taught in my teaching process.
- I will be a role model, be dedicated in my duties, keep the secret of the learners, and avoid beating students.
- I will be punctual and diligent.
- I will be organizing awareness and ensure the wellbeing of my learners.
- I will be fully prepared before going into the class for my lesson.
- I will always refer back to the training materials.
- Instead of always complaining of the monetary aspect of my job, I will focus more on the learners.
- I must not wait for government to provide learning materials.
- I will keep all school record that is expected of me.
Next steps towards realization of the project goals are to:
Continuous online and offline Mentorship of teachers and further extracurricular support most especially on girls life skill mentoring and girl child related issues for sustainability purposes
How you can better support the realisation of GEM project goals.
You can better support the realisation of GEM project goals using the link https://www.globalgiving.org/projects/girls-scholarship-program/ by:
(a) Making a generous one time donation
(b) Set up a monthly recuring donation .
(c) Creating a fundraiser in favour of GEM projects.
(d) Share GEM project to your friends, families and colleaques and on your social media network.