Children growing up today in Afghanistan have never known peace. Most live in poverty. International NGO Save the Children say:
• One in four children dies before their fifth birthday
• There are an estimated 10 million land mines – the equivalent of roughly one for every child
• One in five children is born in a refugee camp
• Only 3 percent of girls, and 39 percent of boys, are enrolled in school
• 50,000 children work on the streets in Kabul
Photographic workshops will give children a creative platform to discuss issues affecting their communities. Their photographs will be exhited locally and in the capital Kabul, to educate and promote discussion.
The workshops will culminate in events where the children’s work will be exhibited in local villages and regions. These events will provide valuable opportunities to engage the community with child-related issues such as land mine education.