Hurricane Dorian hit the Bahamas with historic force and is currently causing severe damage along the U.S. Atlantic Coast. Here are the facts you should know about the hurricane and how you can help those in its path.
Hurricane Dorian caused widespread destruction across the northwest Bahamas. Video footage over the Abaco Islands shows thousands of homes destroyed by the 220 mph winds, torrential rain, and 23-foot storm surge. After ravaging the islands for more than 40 hours, Hurricane Dorian is moving up the U.S. Atlantic Coast, threatening Georgia and the Carolinas with “destructive winds, flooding rains, and life-threatening storm surges.”
Notably, Dorian made landfall in the U.S. Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico less than two years after Hurricanes Irma and Maria. GlobalGiving has been helping survivors of Maria with recovery and resilience-building and is mobilizing once again to provide aid in the wake of Hurricane Dorian. Here are the facts you should know about the storm and how you can help.
1. Hurricane Dorian is the strongest recorded storm in history to hit the Bahamas.
Source: Associated Press
2. At least 23 individuals in the Bahamas are confirmed dead, with the recorded death toll expected to rise over the next few weeks.
Source: BBC News
3. Pervasive flooding has contaminated many wells with saltwater, leaving tens of thousands in need of clean drinking water.
Source: CBS News
4. According to UN officials, more than 60,000 people on the islands are in need of food aid.
Source: Guardian News
5. The storm largely spared Florida, but torrential rain and sustained winds of 115 mph battered the coast of Georgia. North Carolina is still threatened by record-breaking flood levels.
How You Can Help
Donate to GlobalGiving’s Hurricane Dorian Relief Fund. Your donation will support those impacted by the storm through search and rescue missions and emergency supplies like food, water, and medicine. Months and years later, your generosity will continue to provide long-term recovery assistance to help residents to rebuild homes and businesses and to provide mental health support. All donations to this fund will exclusively support relief and recovery efforts in areas impacted by this storm.
GlobalGiving’s Approach To Disaster Recovery
We believe that organizations with a thorough understanding of local needs are best-suited to provide long-term support for survivors of natural disasters like Hurricane Dorian. By funding relief efforts led by organizations on the ground that understand the value of resilience-building, donations have the potential to strengthen response capacity and prepare local communities for future challenges.
Make a donation to GlobalGiving’s Hurricane Dorian Relief Fund. Your donation will support immediate relief and long-term resilience for hurricane survivors.
Photo: Navigating Wreckage In The Bahamas. Photo By Reuters