Greetings from Kenya Rainwater Association!I trust this update finds you safe!
The COVID 19 situation in Kenya is now taking shape and we have not managed to flatten the curve yet, the number of positive cases keep rising by the day and the Govt. has decided not to reopen primary and secondary schools till January 2021, they say the peak of the disease could be in September.
The govt. has directed all schools to put the following several measures in place:
- Promote and demonstrate regular hand washing and positive hygiene behaviours and monitor their uptake.
- Ensure soap and safe water is available and age-appropriate hand washing stations
- Encourage frequent and thorough washing (at least 20 seconds)
- Place hand sanitizers in toilets, classrooms, halls, and near exits where possible
- Ensure adequate, clean and separate toilets or latrines for girls and boys
- Plan for continuity of learning in the case of absenteeism/sick leave or temporary school closures, support continued access to quality education.
This can include: • Use of online/e-learning strategies • Assigning reading and exercises for home study • Radio, podcast or television broadcasts of academic content • Assigning teachers to conduct remote daily or weekly follow up with students • Review/develop accelerated education strategies
Unfortunately, several schools may not be in a position to meet all the above requirements, due to scarce financial resources at their disposal and may seek assistance from well-wishers, donors to help them meet the govt. directives, this is where KRA will seek funding so as to step in and help flatten the curve by making sure that there is reliable water, enough latrines , and handwashing stations in several schools in preparation for reopening in January 2021.
All the govt. officials, from chiefs to public health workers are mobilizing their constituents to make sure that they have clean water, sanitizers and masks all the time since it could be the only way to beat this disease.
We are KRA would also really like to play our role in fighting this disease, and any financial assistance from your generous contributions will go along away.
Thank you for being a wonderful partner! We're grateful to you for considering support of critical WASH projects during this urgent time.