| May 5, 2020
Dance and Education in Times of Pandemic
One of our students, dancing at home
As the world population faces the challenges related to COVID-19, we have been in confinement for more than 50 days in Panama. We are staying home, but we have not stopped working!
Our programs help us strive to sensitize and create awareness of dance through the practice, teaching, and promotion of aerial and contemporary dance. We continue to work towards our goals for the welfare of our beneficiaries and their families. We keep ourselves happy and healthy by dancing, of course!
While the quarantine lasts, we have modified our activities to better serve our beneficiaries, their families, and our workers. We continue:
- Teaching periodic contemporary dance and physical conditioning (virtual) classes to more than 40 at risk children and young people who are part of our social program DANZAREA
- Teaching remote dance classes and generating income for our 7 teachers (dance professionals)
- Providing psychological counseling for our beneficiaries, necessary now more than ever
- Supporting our DANZAREA students with their academic studies using remote tutoring sessions
- Taking food to 133 people including families of our DANZÁREA students and teachers, as well for our CÍA Gramo Danse (professional dancers) members
- Delivering 24 vouchers for food and medicine that will benefit 115 people
- Creating new contemporary dance pieces with our 6 professional dancers from CÍA. Gramo Danse, remotely
- Continuing with our mission to “spread” dance to every corner of our country for more than 21 years
We have proven that culture does not stop and has become a necessary tool for many to deal with the physical and emotional challenges caused by the pandemic. Dance and the arts have allowed us to deliver a message of solidarity and hope to those who need it most during this difficult time.
We are counting on your support to continue our mission for the next 20 years and more!
DANZAREA's dance lesson taken at home by a student
Nothing can't stop us from dancing!