Tutoring & Support for 19 Village Children,Romania

by Children's Helpers Worldwide Vetted since 2015 Top Ranked

Summary

Children's Helpers Worldwide is aiming to sponsor this project, which will allow 19 children, living in poverty in the village of Tarlungeni, Romania, to have educational support and other assistance, through a tutoring and mentoring programme, run by local organisation, Refugiu. Tutoring sessions take place each weekday. Other assistance, such as enrolling the children in school and ensuring they have medical check-ups, is given when needed. 14 of the children have a parent who has passed away.

$30,000
total goal
$4,872
remaining
173
donors
1
monthly donor
3
years

Challenge

The World Bank states that in Eastern Europe, at least 71% of Roma households live in deep poverty. The chance of graduating secondary school is 29% at highest. Unemployment is a major problem. Romania has one of the world's largest Roma populations. In the village of Tarlungeni, most of the Roma community lives in poverty and suffers from social exclusion. This project supports 19 children with their education, and with other social issues, to give them more opportunities for the future.

Solution

Children's Helpers Worldwide is working in partnership with the local organisation, Refugiu. Refgiu holds tutoring sessions for children every weekday and offers other social assistance when necessary, such as helping parents to enrol their children in school and ensuring the children have media check-ups, and that the teenagers have registered for their identity documents.

Long-Term Impact

The project will help the children to stay in school, and will assist their families with other social needs, so the children will grow up to be healthier and will have a better level of education. This will give them more employment prospects as adults. This project will have an ongoing effect through the generations. These children will be literate, unlike some of their parents, and they will then be able to support their own children with their school work one day.

Additional Documentation

This project has provided additional documentation in a Microsoft Word file (projdoc.doc).

Resources

http:/​/​www.chworldwide.org/​
Refugiu's section on CHW's website
Short video: Progress of two of the children
Full interview with Robert, the head of Refugiu

Organization Information

Children's Helpers Worldwide

Location: London - United Kingdom
Website: http:/​/​www.chworldwide.org/​
Facebook: Facebook Page
Twitter: @CHWchildren
Project Leader:
Catherine Franks
London, London United Kingdom
$25,128 raised of $30,000 goal
 
289 donations
$4,872 to go
Donate Now
lock
Donating through GlobalGiving is safe, secure, and easy with many payment options to choose from. View other ways to donate
Add Project to Favorites
Share on Twitter Share on Facebook

Help raise money for this important cause by creating a personalized fundraising page for this project.

Start a Fundraiser

Learn more about GlobalGiving

Teenage Science Students
Vetting +
Due Diligence

Snorkeler
Our
Impact

Woman Holding a Gift Card
Give
Gift Cards

Young Girl with a Bicycle
GlobalGiving
Guarantee

Sign up for the GlobalGiving Newsletter

WARNING: Javascript is currently disabled or is not available in your browser. GlobalGiving makes extensive use of Javascript and will not function properly with Javascript disabled. Please enable Javascript and refresh this page.