Data collection with local school
Greetings GlobalGiving supporters!
Firstly, thank you for your contributions to The Island Foundation - your support has made a difficult year much more manageable and has kept us moving forward with improvements to our program and operations.
During 2020 we:
- Supported 248 students with weekly home learning from March to end December
- Provided 248 students and families with free learning materials
- Supported eight communities with Covid-19 interventions
- Installed computers and internet in three communities for public use
- Surveyed parents on their engagement with their children's learning and sustainable development challenges
- Planted 500 mangrove seedlings
- Participated in regular large scale beach clean ups.
As we go into 2021, the majority of our students continue to face school closures. Missing a year of schooling can have a range of detrimental effects on students' learning outcomes and psychosocial development. Therefore, in Q1 of this year, we will be delivering targeted activities to small groups of students (following Covid-19 safety protocols), including reading aloud sessions, movie nights, walks, music and dance sessions and outdoor learning.
At the same time, our learning facilitators will be improving their English language skills via online tutorials, our local teacher training course will be upgraded for distance learning, and our Learning for Sustainability curriculum will be under development.
We will keep our supporters up to date throughout the year via our regular newsletter - if you haven't already, please sign up via www.theislandfoundation.com
From all of us at The Island Foundation, thank you for your generous support!
Beach clean up
Students receiving learning materials