Rehabilitate Wallabies & Other Native Wildlife

by Sydney Wildlife Vetted since 2013 Top Ranked Site Visit Verified
Support feeding Rainbow Lorikeets
Support feeding Rainbow Lorikeets

This summer has seen record numbers of animals go through our rehabilitation facility as it has been one of the driest summers in a very long time.

The wallabies seem to be particularly affected and are getting themselves into a bit of trouble venturing into areas they normally wouldn't trying to find food.

One such wallaby "Abby" came in to our care when she was found in a suburban backyard with a neck wound. After darting and capturing her, the vet examined the wound and it appears that she may have damaged her neck trying to put her head through a fence to get to the nicely watered grass and plants on the other side.

After her examination by the vet, Abby required surgery and was then placed into our quarantine area at the rehabilitation facility so we could continue to treat and monitor her and ensure she was eating well. One month on, she had fully recovered from her injury and was able to be released back to her natural habitat. Your donations towards the rehabilitation facility have made this possible.

We have also seen the effect of the dry summer on the many of our other native animals. For the fruit and nectar eating birds there isn't a lot of blossoms or berries available, for the carnivore birds, there are fewer insects and prey. Even the bandicoots are finding it harder to dig for insects, as the ground is soo compact and hard due to the lack of rain.

We have had to supplement and support feed all of the animals in our rehabilitation facility to make sure they have sufficient strength to continue to build their strength and prepare for release. This comes at a significant cost to Sydney Wildlife. This has resulted in some animals requiring a longer stay at the facility until the food supply in their natural habit has improved.

Your ongoing donations help us to continue to provide the best possible support for these animals in their journey back to the wild.

Abby after being released.
Abby after being released.
Tawny dinner at 10pm still 40 degrees C
Tawny dinner at 10pm still 40 degrees C
Birds eating supplimentary food
Birds eating supplimentary food
Darted Eastern Grey Kangaroo
Darted Eastern Grey Kangaroo

Since opening the rehabilitation facility years ago, we have certainly had a variety of animals come through.  We wanted to share with you a couple of unique stories of visitors we have had to the facility in the last few months.

We received a call to the Sydney Wildlife hotline about a large eastern grey kangaroo that was in a suburban backyard.  The member of the public said that it always appeared at 7:30am each day so suggested that was a good time for us to try to catch this poor kangaroo to relocate to a more suitable area.  Early the next morning, two Sydney Wildlife volunteers arrived at the location to be ready for the kangaroos visit.  As it is a wild kangaroo, it was decided the safest way of capturing it was to use a dart gun to reduce the stress on the animal as well as ensure we were able to catch it quickly.

As expected, at 7:30 the kangaroo appeared and one of our experienced macropod carers was able to dart her on the first attempt.  Once the drugs took effect and she was sedated, we were able to put her in a large macropod bag and transport her to the rehabilitation facility allowing her to wake up in safety and we could assess her condition and behaviour. 

After a few days of observation to ensure she was feeding correctly, was in good health and not showing any signs of odd behaviour she was able to be released into the company of a wild mob of Eastern Grey Kangaroos.

Our facilities have proven to be excellent for some species in their rehabilitation phase to the point where they never want to leave.

One bandicoot in the large aviary was unable to be found when we were trying to catch her for release. After two attempts of a few people each time trying to find the bandicoot with no luck, we were puzzled.  We knew she was in there as the food was being eaten and there were small freshly dug holes around the floor of the enclosure from her searching for and eating insects. We decided to put a camera in the aviary to make sure that it was in fact the bandicoot eating the food.

The cameras showed after just one night that it was in fact a very healthy bandicoot.

Now more determined than ever to catch the bandicoot three Sydney Wildlife volunteers spent well over half an hour tryng to find the bandicoot and just when we were about to give up one of the volunteers disturbed her out of a very well camouflaged nest.

Being able to provide such a natural enclosure enabled the bandicoot to exhibit its survival techniques which resulted in her being able to evade captured for soo long even though we knew it was there.

This is a testament to how your ongoing support and generosity allows us to provide these animals with such a good foundation for a successful release. 

Resident Roo watching the visitor wake up
Resident Roo watching the visitor wake up
Exploring the rehab facility
Exploring the rehab facility
Elusive bandicoot found on camera
Elusive bandicoot found on camera
Look at me now
Look at me now

Remember our report back in November last year on The Wombat Warrior?

After all the battles Mulan won when only a little joey, she has continued to thrive and has now begun her rehab phase in the Sydney Wildlife Rehabilitation facility.

Rehab for some animals has many stages as they are in rehab for quite a long time. Mulan first started in a small secure enclosure that she was unable to escape from and also included plenty of artificial shelter and protection from the elements. In this enclosure Mulan started off living in the pouch she had been sleeping in at her carers house and over time, started to dig burrows and rely on the safety of the pouch less and less and the burrow more.

Once completely independent of the pouch, the next phase for Mulan was a larger enclosure with no artificial sheltering except to protect any supplementary food from the elements.

Before this could happen, the large enclosure needed to be completely cleaned out as it was full of weeds, abandoned fencing, carpeting, old shelters and plenty of rubbish. For such a large transformation, we needed to ensure we had the right tools and plenty of resources to complete the task at hand. So immense was this task, it took place over several working bees and lots of people power to get the enclosure ready for the next phase of Mulan's rehabilitation.

To provide plenty of natural food for Mulan to eat, we needed to purchase and lay turf on a portion of the enclosure and allow it to grow prior to her taking up residence. This would ensure the grass was established enough and continued to provide natural food for her.

About an hour after moving in to her new enclosure she showed us how ready she was by starting to dig a burrow into one of the large dirt mounds. She has now dug 3 burrows throughout the enclosure to suit her needs. She can sometimes be seen basking in the sun amongst the bushes at the entrance of one of her burrows.

She has adapted really well to this phase of her rehabilitation. She is now rarely seen out during the day and if she is out and gets a fright, she retreats straight back to her burrow to hide.

Mulan now weights a whopping 12kgs and will remain in care until she reaches around 20kgs.  

Mulan would like to thank you for your ongoing donations as without them, she would not have such a interactive enclosure enabling her to learn all the natural behaviours she needs to master before returning to the wild.

Before photo of Mulan
Before photo of Mulan's large enclosure
Clearing out the rubbish
Clearing out the rubbish
Let the weeding begin
Let the weeding begin
Spot the wombat
Spot the wombat
Sydney Wildlife celebrates 20 years
Sydney Wildlife celebrates 20 years

Sydney Wildlife is celebrating being 20 years old!

We are a volunteer group that is dedicated to rescuing and caring for Sydneys native wildlife.  We receive over 13,000 calls a year for help with sick, injured or orphaned wildlife that require a volunteer carer go out to rescue and then care for them.

Below is a video link that talks about what Sydney Wildlife does.  Please watch and enjoy.

The rehabilitation facility is still very busy with lots of different types of animals starting the final stages of their rehabilitation to prepare for release. The cheekiest of these is our little wombat warrior, Mulan, who has had a lot of fun doing wild wombat things and digging huge holes all over her enclosure.

As well as Mulan, we have wallabies of different ages belting around the enclosure and getting fit prior to being released.

With help from the donations that you have given to our project, we have been able to clean out and repair some of the older enclosures at the facility which has meant we have been able to accomodate a greater variety of wildlife needing space for their final stages of rehabilitation.  Those currently making use of these facilities include bandicoots, butcher birds, tawny frogmouths, turtles, possums, magpies and lizards.

 We hope you enjoy the photo's of some of the macropods in our facility celebrating our 20 year milestone with us.

Cloudy and Cassius wanting cake
Cloudy and Cassius wanting cake
The people leave the dehumanised wallabies appear.
The people leave the dehumanised wallabies appear.


Tawny Frogmouth Chicks
Tawny Frogmouth Chicks

Thanks to you, our rehabilitation facility is growing and demand has been very high as Sydney Wildlife members want to use the facility to get their animals ready for release.

Most of the animals that come to our rehabilitation facility have been in care for some time and therefore need to build up their muscle strength and stamina before they go back to their natural habitat where they will have to find or catch their own food.

Our Twin Tawny Story.

One cold day, some lumberjacks were cutting down a tree for one of their clients when they noticed a nest in the tree that contained two fluffy little Tawny Frogmouth chicks.   They started to look around to see if they could locate the parents but were unable to locate them. As it was a cold day and they had taken down the branch the nest was in, they didn’t want to leave the chicks there so they took them to a local vet. After a quick check over, the vets contacted Sydney Wildlife to come and collect the chicks for hand raising.

Unfortunately, when we collected the little balls of fluff from the vets, they were not able to provide us with any more detail than the suburb they were found in so we were unable to go back and try to look for the parents ourselves as we didn’t have a specific address.

When they first got home to the careers house, the two chicks were put in a nice heated box with a substitute nest in it to make them feel as much like home as possible. They were feed at very regular intervals throughout the day. Luckily for their carer, as they are birds, they didn’t need feeding during the night.

With regular feeds and constant care, they continued to grow and learn how to eat different types of foods. You will see in the photo’s the big transformation they went through going from being little white balls of fluff to beautiful feathered birds.

Once they were old enough and only requiring one hand feed per day they were taken to the rehabilitation facility were they had a larger enclosure to fly around in and learn to catch the insects and bugs that frequent the area. This enabled them to get better at catching their food in an environment that mimicked as closely as possible what they would do in the wild.

After about one month it was time to take them back to the suburb where they were found and release them. Not only did they both fly very well and silently but we observed them flying down to the grass and bushes to catch insects, feeding them selves.

Three months after release one of the Tawnys is still seen around the release site and is thriving in its natural habitat.

Without donations from our magnificent Global Giving supporters, none of this would be possible!

If you know any one else you can share this story with please do, as they may also want to help Sydney Wildlife help our native animals.

Thank you so much.

Joan and the rehabilitation critters.


Tawny's Growing up and stretching their wings
In the Rehabilitation facility
In the Rehabilitation facility
One of the Tawny
One of the Tawny's after release
The other Tawny on release night.
The other Tawny on release night.

About Project Reports

Project Reports on GlobalGiving are posted directly to by Project Leaders as they are completed, generally every 3-4 months. To protect the integrity of these documents, GlobalGiving does not alter them; therefore you may find some language or formatting issues.

If you donate to this project or have donated to this project, you will get an e-mail when this project posts a report. You can also subscribe for reports via e-mail without donating.

Get Reports via Email

We'll only email you new reports and updates about this project.

Organization Information

Sydney Wildlife

Location: Sydney, NSW - Australia
Website: http:/​/​
Project Leader:
Joan Reid
Lindfield, NSW Australia

Learn more about GlobalGiving

Teenage Science Students
Vetting +
Due Diligence


Woman Holding a Gift Card
Gift Cards

Young Girl with a Bicycle

Sign up for the GlobalGiving Newsletter

WARNING: Javascript is currently disabled or is not available in your browser. GlobalGiving makes extensive use of Javascript and will not function properly with Javascript disabled. Please enable Javascript and refresh this page.