If we provide 120,000 saplings, supplies and training for the 155 members of the peasant organization AKFB in Haiti, they will reforest the land and once again provide a sustainable income for their families through farming.
The project’s specific objectives are:
• Produce 120,000 seedlings including fruit trees and native species
• Increase members' knowledge of seedling production and reforestation
• Sensitize the AKFB members on the causes and consequences of environmental degradation
• Promote the practice of sustainable agriculture and engage AKFB members, residents of Bayone and surrounding area in the practice sustainable farming.
AKFB in partnership with the Lambi Fund has accomplished the following:
• Workshops: Lambi Fund conducted a 5 day seminar for 30 AKFB members. The workshop included subjects such as: Greenhouse construction and maintenance, seedling selection, preparation, distribution and replanting, soil conservation, sustainable agriculture tree planting, reforestation, agro forestry.
• Consultant: A local agronomist was retained to consult with the organization
• Greenhouses: Two greenhouses have been constructed
• Seedling Production: 60,000 seedlings have been produced and planted
• Monitoring: A committee was created to oversee the planting and the maintenance of young trees
What remains to be done:
• Assessment of first tree planting effort successes, failures and lessons learned
• Production and planting of 60,000 seedlings
• Monitoring and assessment of the project