| Feb 11, 2022
Early Childhood Project - Vaga LUme
Since 2001, Vaga Lume has donated more than 153 thousand books to community libraries spreaded throughout the Brazilian Amazon. This is a number that shows us that with the union of people who believe in social transformation through reading, it is possible to change realities and boost many dreams. Have you ever stopped to think about the impact that reading and mediation can cause?
- Language Development: Reading provides an increase in the number of words a child knows, which is a key factor in their future success.
- Brain Development: Reading mediation positively impacts children in the 0-6 age group, as it is a period critical for the development of language skills.
- Skill Building: Reading aloud awakens the desire to learn to read and develops literacy skills without obligation.
That said, we will take this opportunity to tell you a little bit about our Early Childhood project, which seeks to deepen the methodology focused on reading in early childhood – a period in which the brain most needs stimuli, since 90% of brain connections are established by the age of 6 (UNICEF, 2006).
The investments for the project focus on:
- Furniture kit suitable for Early Childhood
- Collection with 90 books for each library
- A Guide to Early Childhood
- Recorded content for training mediators
- 2 online course modules in 6 training meetings
Five communities chose to participate in this Early Childhood project:
- Corre Água Community, Macapá (AP)
- Menino Deus Community, Portel (PA)
- Quilombola Community São Pedro, Castanhal (PA)
- Sobradinho Community, Barreirinhas (MA)
- Santo Isidoro Community, Tefé (AM)
"We believe that it is important for the child to have contact with reading, as it is the basis for the formation of the child's character, which from pregnancy to the family environment, makes the child receive emotional baggage from this period of development." Maria, a volunteer at the Sobradinho Community, in Barreirinhas (MA)
Your donation helps us to strengthen our 86 libraries, train reading mediators, promotes children development, cultural exchange and strengthen local culture. Donate and shine with Vaga Lume in Amazon.