Last week Lilongwe Wildlife Centre hosted the 2014 PASA management workshop in Lilongwe, Malawi.
Attendees told us it was the best management workshop so far thanks to effective trainings and a welcoming and collaborative atmosphere.
Workshop outcomes included:
- Social media training from Chris Tuttle, a top US communications consultant, to help sanctuaries build support around the world for their work to protect wildlife and support local communities.
- Training on strategic planning for sanctuaries and standards for evaluating conservation programs.
- Session on the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITES) and empowering sanctuaries, communities and governments to address wildlife law enforcement issues. PASA attended the CITES Standing Committee meeting in July to speak up for better protection of African great apes - gorillas, bonobos and chimpanzees. We are working with member sanctauries and partners around the globe to urge nations to implement CITES regulations and crack down on the illegal trade of African wildlife.
- Training on managing and addressing wildlife disease outbreaks.
- Donation of 3 tablets per sanctuary from the Jane Goodall Institute and a training on Open Data Kit to build and collect standardized data for animal arrivals at sanctuaries. Standardized animal arrivals data are critical to demonstrate to CITES and governments that primate sale and trade is a serious problem.
- Planning for a future workshop to help sanctuaries develop strategic conservation programs that address the specific challenges in their geograhic region, and engage and empower local comunities to protect wildlife and habitats.
Your donations and funding from the Arcus Foundation, the Jane Goodall Institute and Coypu Foundation made this workshop possible. Thank you! Your contributions are making a difference for Africa's primates.
Project Reports on GlobalGiving are posted directly to globalgiving.org by Project Leaders as they are completed, generally every 3-4 months. To protect the integrity of these documents, GlobalGiving does not alter them; therefore you may find some language or formatting issues.
If you donate to this project or have donated to this project, you will get an e-mail when this project posts a report. You can also subscribe for reports via e-mail without donating.
We'll only email you new reports and updates about this project.
Support this important cause by creating a personalized fundraising page.Start a Fundraiser