Inwelle Academy Child Having Fun at an Outing
- We continued to give after school tutoring. (See Photos)
- The Inwelle International Academy of Excellence Progress So far
Started in September 2021, Inwelle International Academy of Excellence (IIAE) made Six-Year Plan that is a clear, concise blueprint encompassing short- and long-term goals aligned with a development for exemplary academic standards and assessment, professional education, teacher induction and development, special education, educational technology, and student services. The Plan will guide our continuous improvement efforts to identify future goals and improve educational opportunities and achievement for our underserved students in a neglected community.
In order to realize this aim of the Academy, we constantly ask for support from public spirited individuals to enable us pay teacher salaries. The students are from indigent families and cannot afford a decent education while we, at the academy, are bent on giving quality education to level the education field for these children. The pictures accompanying this report shows some of the activities we have carried out since our last report
2022 Academic and Skills Acquisition Boot Camp: July 20 to August 20
After a break in its annual Boot Camp activities due to COVID-19 pandemic, Inwelle Study and Resource Centre held its annual Boot Camp in July. Exciting projects were lined up. This year, the Boot Camp gave a greater part of its activities to teaching participants such higher computer skills as software installation, web design, and other high-level Information Technology skills that will leverage the participants to secure employment or become self-employed. Also, Inwelle Centre gave intensive education for Girls in Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM) to enable them join in Changing the World by applying technology to global challenges. Participants needed to be sponsored. Our friends and family and the Centre Executive rose up to it. 23 girls and 2 boys were sponsored to participate. The cost of sponsoring a participant was N60,000.00 or $100.00. A few scholarships were made available to those who demonstrated need, all of whom are the Inwelle International Academy of Excellent students. To be eligible for scholarship, such participants had to show that they made serious efforts to secure sponsorship but failed. The executive director sponsored three of these participants. While a new board of trustees member sponsored four of them.
Specifications for the Boot Camp were
. Participants must be
· taking SS3/School Cert/JAMB Exams for the 2009-2010 year.
· aged 17 –23
· excelling in at least 1 academic subject
· willing to commit to the entire month
· willing to trade talent in academic subjects.
· must attend the December symposium to complete the programme
Below is summary of the various Boot Camp teachers’ reports made by the Boot Camp Programme Manager
The 2022 boot camp exercise was every bit as engaging as it was intended. From the living arrangement, to the academics and skill acquisition. All these areas had positive impact on the lives of the participants. From the very first day when we started receiving participants from different states, the camping experience began and each person both participants and facilitators began to adjust to the order of the day. By the closing ceremony on the 26th of August, different participants had learnt something new about living with people of different backgrounds.
The academic structure of the boot camp being STEM subjects meant that participants got a chance to advance in these subjects and because we have participants from different discipline, some testified to having a different outlook to certain subjects and other were grateful to add new subjects to their collection on knowledge.
Furthermore, the addition of skills to the educational mix also increased what participants were equipped with. For an individual to have practical skills that they can directly exchange for income was so exciting that participation was high with everyone looking to gain as much as was on the table. Also exercises on environmental sanitation and other chores were conducted giving the participants even more than they expected and we had teachers and facilitators participate as well, so it was very engaging.
In conclusion, the 2022 Inwelle Study and Resource Centre Academic and Skill Acquisition Boot camp was a complete success with set goals achieved and boot campers’ lives improved after their participation. It is my recommendation that subsequent boot camps would build on the path created by this year’s activity to solidify our participants and give them more courage to practice and build on the knowledge that they have gained.
Below are summaries of some subjects taught
A. Information and communication Technology
Introduction to Photoshop
- Create black and white pictures
- Make use of history panel
- Create a collage
- Making use of discover panel and find hotkeys.
- Photoshop interface
- Create new project in many different ways
- How to save projects on Photoshop in different format
- Explain what layer is and how to use them
- Select and move layers and arrange images
- Fast alignment
- Customize the layer panels, identify layers, find solution to layer dexterity
- Use blending modes, lock layers
- Use of camera raw
- Saving in could vs. save locally.
The students created new project and imported pictures for the purpose of learning. They individually worked on projects
- Applied the basic design principles, picking shapes and lines to make a design.
- They were able to select colors and fonts types to fix designs.
- They made use of layers and imported more images to make a collage
- The student were able to save project in different formats and where able to go back to their pervious to edit them.
- They turned pictures to black and white, applying some design skills to the picture, changing the picture contrast, resizing the picture, zooming in and out to make good positing for proper design and alignment
- How to locate the Microsoft word on a window 7 computer, windows 8.1 and windows 10 machine
- Learning how to start a new project on Microsoft word.
- Explore the ribbons on the home panel, such as change fonts style, change font size, font color, font
- Create documents from scratch, or a template
- Add text, images, art.
- Create and format your documents.
- Adding text between texts.
- Replacing text.
- Insert tables.
- Save and print documents.
- At the end of the learning phase the student did some projects and assessment, the project helped to test their general knowledge on Microsoft word.
- They created a new document on Microsoft and write text
- The students were able to add color to text, increase text fonts, font style etc.
- The student placed cursor in-between text to add new text.
- Select the text they want to replace and double click on it, and start typing, to replace text.
- While formatting text, they could select the text they want to format, select an option to change the font, font size color or make the text bold, italics, or underline.
- Practicing of copy formatting by selecting the text with the formatting you want to copy, click format paint and then select the text you want to copy the formatting to.
- When saving printing of documents, they go to file > save as (or save a copy) select the file location and input the document name.
- Create a new workbook on Microsoft excel. A workbook is a file that contains one or more worksheets to help you organize date.
- Insert or delete a column.
- Insert or delete a row.
- Available number of formats in Excel.
- Excel formula.
- Summing up columns and rows.
- Calculating the lowest and highest values of specific columns or row.
- Adding colors to the background of a cell.
- Setting borders to a selected cells.
- We learnt how to open a new, blank workbook, by clicking the file tab and click new and next under the available templates double click blank workbook. Student did same by using keyboard shortcut to quickly create a new, blank workbook, by also press CTRL + n
- Alternatively, right-click the top of the column, and then select Insert or Delete.
- Select any cell within the row, then go to Home > Insert > Insert Sheet Rows or Delete Sheet Rows.
- Alternatively , right-click the top of the column, and then select insert or delete
- They could select a cell or a cell range, on the home tab, select Number form the drop-down or they could choose one of the three options (1) press CTRL +1 and select the Number , (2)Right-click the cell or cell range, select format cell and select Number (3) Select the small arrow, dialog box launcher, and then select Number
- They did some class work and hands on project, the project were reviewed.
The objective of this class is as follows
- The students will learn a good sitting position while using the computer system for long.
- Students learn the home keys and how to place their hands rightly on the keyboard
- The students learns the home key A S D F J K L ;
- Placing their fingers on the keyboard and not looking at the keyboard
- The students did series of typing practices using the rapid typing application
- At the end of the typing practices the students were able to identify the home keys
- The boot campers could type letters form A S D F J K L ; Y U T R C V B N comfortably without looking at the keyboard.
- We had good understanding of the right sitting position when using the laptop or desktop
- Test and assignment
SETTING UP A DESKTOP COMPUTER
- At the end of the classes the students should be able to set up the desktop computer
- Know the meaning and functions of the cables
- At the end of the class the students come set up a desktop computer from the scratch with the necessary tools and cables
- They could state the difference between the SVG cable and the POWER cable
- identify the right spot for connecting the mouse and keyboard
- placing the cable and computer peripheries
- test and assignment
Section 2 of Information Technology Class
This section was for students who have fair background on computer appreciation and showed interest in web development and web design.
LEARNING OBJECTIVE: web design with figma
- students should know the use of figma
- how to set up an account on figma
- creating web pages wireframe
- lo-fi models
- hi-fi designs
- practical examples
- Students took notes on the fundamentals of figma
- The students designed low fidelity mockups
- Students turned the design to high fidelity models.
Conclusion from the Teacher
The boot camp was an awesome experience. The students had a sound learning exercise; the classes were more of practical. In the information and communication technology classes, we were able to cover a lot of courses but some courses were not well dealt with due to the short period of time provided. We hope that the Boot Camp will last more than one month next time to allow us to cover greater grounds.
B. MATHEMATICS AND PHYSICS CLASSES
TOPIC: ALGEBRAIC SIMPLIFICATION OBJECTIVE:
- Write expressions and equations to represent real-world situation
- Evaluate expressions for a given values of variable
- Use properties of operations to write equivalent expressions
- Solve one step equations
- Check the solutions of an equation
- The boot camper uses algebraic expressions and equations to represent rule of thumb involving measurements.
- They use properties of operations and the relationship between fractions, decimals and percentage to write equivalent expressions.
- They solve equations that involve finding 10 percent of a number.
- They see that finding 10 percent of the number is the same as finding 0.1 of the number or finding 1/10 of the number.
TOPIC:INTRODUCTION TO PHYSICS OBJECTIVE:
- To provide them with a broad understanding of the universe
- To help them develop critical thinking and quantitative reasoning skills
- To empower them to think creatively and critically about scientific problems.
- They mastered a broad set of knowledge concerning the fundamentals in the basic area in physics (quantum, mechanics and thermodynamics)
- They understand the physical principles required to analyze a physical question or topic including those previously not seen and both physical quantitative and quantitative insights.
TOPIC: UNITS AND MEASUREMENTS OBJECTIVE:
- To tell how many significant digits a measurement contains.
- Make calculations with the correct number of significant digits.
- To name the s.i unit of length, time and mass.
- Able to state, in general, how the s.i units for length, time and mass are defined. To know s.i prefixes
- They can tell the number of significant digits a measurement contains.
- They are able to calculate with the correct number of significant digits.
- They can name the s.i unit of length, time and mass.
- They can define units length, time and mass.
- They now know the prefixes of s.i units.
TOPIC: INDICES NUMBER OF OBJECTIVE:
- To estimate the answer to a question involving indices To multiply terms in the same base.
- To divide terms with the same base.
- They can now estimate the answer to a question involving indices.
- They can multiply terms with the same base.
- They can divide terms with the same base.
TOPIC: SOLUTION TO SIMULTANEOUS EQUATION OBJECTIVE:
- To solve simultaneous equations using the elimination method.
- They can identify simultaneous equations.
- They can solve simultaneous equations using elimination methods.
TOPIC: DIMENSION NUMBER OF OBJECTIVE:
- To find the dimension of fundamental and derived units
- They understand fundamental and derived units
- They can conveniently find the dimensions for fundamentals and derived units.
- They can take readings from vernier calipers.
TOPIC: SOLUTION TO SIMULTANEOUS EQUATION (continuation) LEARNING OBJECTIVE:
- To solve simultaneous equations using the substitution method.
- They can solve simultaneous equations using substitution methods.
- They can solve simultaneous equations graphically.
TOPIC: MATRICES AND DETERMINANTS LEARNING OBJECTIVE:
- To find determinants of a matrix.
- To find the adjoint of a matrix.
- To find the inverse of a matrix
- To use matrices to solve simultaneous equations.
- They can find the determinants of matrices.
- They can find the adjoint of matrices
- They can find the inverse of matrices
- They can use matrices to find solutions to simultaneous equations.
TOPIC: ELASTICITY NUMBER OF LEARNING OBJECTIVE:
- To understand Hooke’s Law.
- To state Young’s Modulus
- They take readings from a micrometer screw gauge.
- They can state Hooke’s Law and use it to solve elasticity problems.
- They can solve problems involving stress, strain and young’s modulus
SUBJECT: PHYSICS and MATHEMATICS LEARNING OBJECTIVE:
To solve and explain topics that is giving them issues in both physics and mathematics
Conclusion from the teacher
We were able to touch on all topics that are giving them issues. Conclusively, the boot camp was an awe-inspiring know-how for the participant as expected. The opening ceremony was the very significant activity. Aside from the welcoming of the participant, all the aforementioned topics in both Physics and Mathematics were precisely taught, and all the boot camper participated and learnt new things in both subjects. The closing ceremony was held on the 26th of August, 2022 and the participants all testified on this occasion that the boot camp is a life changing experience. They all wrote letters to their respective sponsors to thank those (Sponsors) for giving them the opportunity to attend the wonderful Boot Camp activities.
C. CHEMISTRY CLASSES
TOPIC: MEANING/DEFINITION OF CHEMISTRY
- Meaning/definition of chemistry
- Branches of chemistry
- Other various branches of chemistry
- The boot camper were able to define the meaning of chemistry
- They knew the branches of chemistry
- And also other various branches of chemistry
- They found out that without chemistry the field of chemistry will be in jeopardy.
TOPIC: CHEMICAL EQUATION
- To empower them to think and reason very well in solving various equations.
- To help them to know how to balance equations.
- They were able to know the types of chemical equations
- And was good in pronouncing the various chemical equations and their formulas.
- They also learnt how to name some compounds.
TOPIC: ACIDS,BASE,AND SALT
- They were able to know the classes of acids, base and salt
- They understand the various chemical and physical properties of acids, base and salt.
- They were able to identify the indicator
- They identify the colors
- They identify the precipitates
- They were able to identify the soluble and insoluble salts.
TOPIC: FIRST TWENTY(20) ELEMENTS
- They were able to study all the first twenty(20) elements
- They learn their symbols and s.i units
- They have mastered all the twenty(20) elements
- They can calculate the number of the protons
- They can calculate the number of electrons.
To solve and explain topics that is giving them issues in chemistry.
- We were able to touch all the topics that were giving them issues.
Conclusion from the Teacher
The 2022 academic and skill acquisition boot camp was a very interesting and lucrative programme that every youth should benefit from immensely, and I am very grateful to have participated as one of the teachers. During the programme, I found out that the participants were eager to learn; therefore, I put in my best to make sure that they achieved a lot in areas like chemical reactions, the periodic table and naming of compounds which is important and will help them greatly in future.
Also, I learnt many things from the participants during the classroom interaction, most especially when pronouncing the names of the chemicals like tetraoxosulphate (IV), Ammonium hydroxide and more. They put all their efforts to learn, notwithstanding that most of the participants were from non-science disciplines. I was able to impart as much as possible.
I am so grateful to the chief organizer and all the people that helped to make the Boot Camp happen for giving me the opportunity to be among the teachers in this year's boot camp.
Inwelle Academy Students at an Outing
Inwelle Academy and Boot Camp Activities