Greetings from The Teacher Foundation !
Inclusive Education project involved training 100 teachers (2 teachers from one school) from selected 50 Government schools from Shahapur block of Yadgiri district – Karnataka State. The deliverables included Baseline Observation; 5 days of training(100 teachers in 3 batches); Two Round of School Based Support.
School Based Support involves observing all the teachers in their respective classrooms followed by a feedback session. It is an opportunity for The Teacher Foundation facilitators and the teachers to discuss the areas that went well and the areas that need improvement in the area of teaching - learning. This serves as a support platform for teachers, wherein they can reflect on their classroom practices and improvise accordingly to make their classrooms an inclusive and enabling environment for all students.
Activities completed till date:
- Baseline observation
- 5 days of training
- First Round of School Based Support
TTF conducted 5 days of training programme and a brief overview of the modules are provided below:
1) Understanding Inclusion:
- Understanding the meaning of inclusions in the context of Inclusive Education
- Examining the Bill of Child Rights and make connections with the need for inclusion
- Identifying the key problems with regard to inclusion schools and designing a plan to tackle the problems of inclusion
- Why Children With Special Needs (CWSN) require curriculum adaptation
- Identifying the different types of CWSN for which modification is required
- Examining the forms of curriculum adaptation in Math and Science
- Designing a lesson using curriculum adaptation
3)Dealing with Multiple Disabilities:
- Discussion on social attitudes towards disabilities
- Debate whether children with multiple disabilities should go to special schools
- Justifying the need for inclusion for children with multiple disabilities
4) Evaluation Procedures:
- Discussion on assessment in the context of CWSN
- Analysing the general and specific guidelines for assessment for CWSN
- Designing an assessment plan for CWSN
5) Disability Specific Inclusive Classroom settings:
- Discussion on the various barriers to inclusion
- Designing an action plan to create a Barrier FreeEnvironment in their school
- Reflection on the importance of disability specific inclusive settings
Detailed report on the baseline observation and first round of School Based Support was shared in the last quarter. Data during these observations are gathered by using a specially developed tool - 'Classroom Observation Checklist'. The data gathered from the observations will help us to assess the impact of the programme.
Activity to complete: Second Round of School Based Support i.e., endline observation is scheduled in the month of Feb - March 2018.
Observations during Workshops:
- During the workshops, all teachers participated with enthusiasm, shared their views/perceptions openly, as well as shared the problems/difficulties they encounter in a classroom scenario, discussed and obtained suggestions from other participants and TTF facilitators.
- Discussions focused on understanding special needs, identifying individual disabilities, strategies to engage children with multiple disabilities in an inclusive setup, classroom management, curriculum adaptations to meet the learning needs of CWSN, creating enabling physical environment, collecting resources and assessment strategies.
Teachers Feedback :
- “ I got to know how to create an environment which poses no restrictions to CWSN in this workshop” - Teacher from GLPS Karanagi School
- “This workshop helped me to understand how to evaluate and assess CWSN along with other students” - Teacher from GHPS Mudbool School
- “ CWSN to have equal educational rights, just like others and we need to create an enabling learning environment to them too is my understanding from this training” - Teacher from GHPS Birnoor School
- “I learnt about characteristics of CWSN and types of disabilities from this training” - Teacher from GLPS Madarakki School
Next project update will be on the overall impact assessment of the project.
Thank you for your support !Attachments: