Dear sponsors/donors and well wishers of SevaChildren Norway!
It is exactly one year this month since the Prime Minister of India, on the night of 24th of March of 2020, giving just 4 hours’ notice, ordered complete Lockdown of the country which can be described as the most brutal the world has seen. It caused unimaginable sufferings and miseries to the people, including many deaths due to hunger and starvation. For major portion of the year, people were not allowed to go out except for the most essential services. In such an environment, it was not possible for us to carry on much work. However, we still could achieve something.
And, as the world continues to combat the Coronavirus Pandemic, though the rigorous lockdowns imposed initially have been lifted, there are still lots of restrictions people have to abide with in order to prevent the infections. At Ashagram Orphanage too, the works we have taken up viz. construction of inner safety wall, provision of safe drinking water, and provision of bigger kitchen space, couldn’t go at much rapid way that we would have liked to move. But, something we have achieved, e.g.:
- We have constructed major portion of the boundary wall safeguarding our Orphanage property.
- Two thirds of the inner wall construction is completed.
- We have leveled the ground around the building by blasting and removing rocks.
- We have planted around 500 different varieties of fruit trees to ensure sustainable income for the Orphanage.
- We have secured life-long free electricity from the Government for our borewell for the purpose of drinking water as well as for irrigation purpose.
- There was no proper road to our Orphanage building within the Orphanage campus. We have made a new road and planted trees on both sides of this road.
- We have also leveled the ground by blasting rocks and removing mud, in order to make playgrounds for the orphanage children.
There is still lot of work to be done to ensure that the Orphanage children have a safe, healthy and enjoyable environment, e.g.:
- One third of the Inner Safety Compound wall still to be constructed
- Plumbing and water connections from the new borewell to the residential house.
- Expansion of the Orphanage Kitchen-cum-dining.
SevaChildren Norway is extremely thankful to all sponsors/donors and well wishers to have received more than US $ 15.300 – equivalent to NOK 130.000 - through various channels for this project, from the very beginning and up to date. We are still eager to receive further donations in order to complete this whole project.