| Nov 18, 2022
Reflecting and Planning - Fall Updates from CFI
Our last Veggie Van market of the 2022 season!
Dear Friends of CFI,
As winter approaches in Southeast Ohio, the daylight hours get shorter and the rhythm of our days at CFI changes accordingly. What doesn't change with the seasons is our commitment to building a just, inclusive, and thriving local food system.
Food prices are up everywhere, and we are seeing the impact of this in our communities in the form of increased demand for services and higher purchasing costs. Families tell us that when food and gas prices rise, fresh perishable foods are often the first things that they are forced to cut back on. Your support is more important now than ever to keep nutritious food available to our neighbors in need.
With your support, here’s how we’ve worked toward keeping healthy local food accessible to all in the past few months:
- The CFI Veggie Van had another successful season of providing communities with accessible fresh fruits and vegetables. We served over 1300 customers at seven different market locations this year.
- Donation Station continued weekly distributions as well as organized a community food giveaway that provided free local vegetables, beans, whole grains and milk directly to anyone in need. Over 85 individuals were served in less than three hours.
- We continue to build resilience and relationships through our community gardens programs, with a record-breaking 120 plots utilized in 2022!
- Our “Garden Club” programs worked with over 50 kids at a drop-in youth center operated by a local behavioral health organization, and also with residents of all ages at a local apartment complex. Garden Clubs offer social connection and creative activities, along with garden and food education, food distribution, and working together in community garden areas.
- Nourishing Networks community workshop sessions brought nearly 40 people together over a meal to discuss challenges and resources for food access. The discussions resulted in plans for a community-led awareness campaign and for volunteers to develop a garden at the local community center.
We invite you to join with us in raising a glass of cider or a hot cup of tea wherever you are in gratitude for another season of growing, sharing, and working together to build a thriving local food system. Cheers, and thank you.
The CFI Team
Weekly Food Distribution
Creative activities with local apples
Volunteer fun at a fall community garden workday