gift card reading 'Spread Joy' Looking for holiday gifts? Give the gift of giving with a GlobalGiving gift card! Shop Gift Cards

Provide Quality Education for 850 Youth in Panama

by Ensena por Panama
Provide Quality Education for 850 Youth in Panama
Provide Quality Education for 850 Youth in Panama
Provide Quality Education for 850 Youth in Panama
Provide Quality Education for 850 Youth in Panama
Provide Quality Education for 850 Youth in Panama
Provide Quality Education for 850 Youth in Panama
Provide Quality Education for 850 Youth in Panama
Provide Quality Education for 850 Youth in Panama
Provide Quality Education for 850 Youth in Panama
Provide Quality Education for 850 Youth in Panama
Provide Quality Education for 850 Youth in Panama
Provide Quality Education for 850 Youth in Panama
Provide Quality Education for 850 Youth in Panama
Provide Quality Education for 850 Youth in Panama
Provide Quality Education for 850 Youth in Panama
Provide Quality Education for 850 Youth in Panama
Provide Quality Education for 850 Youth in Panama
Provide Quality Education for 850 Youth in Panama
Provide Quality Education for 850 Youth in Panama
Provide Quality Education for 850 Youth in Panama
Provide Quality Education for 850 Youth in Panama
Provide Quality Education for 850 Youth in Panama
Provide Quality Education for 850 Youth in Panama
Provide Quality Education for 850 Youth in Panama
Provide Quality Education for 850 Youth in Panama
Provide Quality Education for 850 Youth in Panama
Provide Quality Education for 850 Youth in Panama
Provide Quality Education for 850 Youth in Panama
Provide Quality Education for 850 Youth in Panama

Summary

Ensena por Panama (Teach for Panama) trains and supports young professionals, placing them in at-risk schools for two years, building their capacity to improve educational outcomes and to lead students and communities toward empowerment and self-efficacy.

$12,608.19
total raised
95
donors
0
monthly donors
1
year

Challenge

Panama's students are one of the poorest performers in LATAM. Desertion rates are high. While 97% of Panamanian kids enroll in primary education, only 69% reach secondary. A poor child has a 1/20 chance of graduating secondary. Less than half of our youth enroll in college. Teachers aren't highly trained, not evaluated nor well paid, with little motivation. Vulnerable citizens receive a poor education to later pursue poor jobs. Educational & teacher quality aren't adequate to reverse the cycle.

Solution

We recruit professionals each year for placement in vulnerable schools. Selection is based on rigorous criteria, ensuring talented & committed leaders. They receive an intensive, experiential training, innovative methodologies, lesson planning & assessment while developing leadership skills to elaborate projects in the communities. Our teachers aim to reach the students maximum academic & personal potential. We provide continuous coaching, ensuring the guided learning & success of each teacher.

Long-Term Impact

Our goals for 2019 are: 1. to have more than 55 alumni 2. positively impacted more than 5,200 students 3. 65% of alumni remaining in the education field: 35% as teachers, 17% as school leaders, 8% in innovation and 5% as system and politic leaders.

Additional Documentation

This project has provided additional documentation in a PDF file (projdoc.pdf).

Resources

http:/​/​www.ensenaporpanama.com
Website
Facebook
Instagram
Twitter

Organization Information

Ensena por Panama

Location: Panama City - Panama
Website: http:/​/​www.ensenaporpanama.com
Facebook: Facebook Page
Twitter: @ensenaxpanama
Ensena por Panama
Lorena Valencia
Project Leader:
Lorena Valencia
CEO
Panama City, Panama

Retired Project!

This project is no longer accepting donations.
 

Still want to help?

Find another project in Panama or in Education that needs your help.
Find a Project

Learn more about GlobalGiving

Teenage Science Students
Vetting +
Due Diligence

Snorkeler
Our
Impact

Woman Holding a Gift Card
Give
Gift Cards

Young Girl with a Bicycle
GlobalGiving
Guarantee

Sign up for the GlobalGiving Newsletter

WARNING: Javascript is currently disabled or is not available in your browser. GlobalGiving makes extensive use of Javascript and will not function properly with Javascript disabled. Please enable Javascript and refresh this page.