Our Pre University girls working on assignments
“I reach for the stars, even if I can’t see them”
At Mitra Jyothi, we strongly believe that primary education and higher education plays a significant role in the world of a visually challenged person. It fosters a feeling of independence, self-reliance and a high level of self-esteem. Higher education gives them the confidence to, learn, think, and ideate and explore the world around them.
Mitra Jyothi focuses on education opportunities for girls from socio economically marginalized communities to complete their higher education through a recognized educational institution that caters to an inclusive world. In 2022, Mitra Jyothi assisted 7 girls for their Pre University studies and 3 girls for their under graduation studies. These 10 girls will continue their studies through 2023. They study in the Govt. Independent PU College and Govt. First grade Degree College, Agara, Bengaluru.
The girls completed their high school from their native towns and were very apprehensive and uncertain when they came to Mitra Jyothi. At Mitra Jyothi, they were counselled, guided and convinced to continue their education, and to aim to graduate with flying colors. The girls who enroll for higher education are also given the option to up skill themselves by signing up for basic training in Computer education, where they are introduced to the digital world through screen reading software.
Apart from Computer training, the girls are also introduced to the world of Orientation and Mobility. This aims to facilitate independent and efficient movement and functioning in day to day areas of life. This training enables the visually impaired person to navigate and move around safely in private and public places.
Apart from the above, during their association with Mitra Jyothi they are exposed to –
- Spoken English classes that enables them to experience an increased sense of inclusion among mainstream population.
- Life Skills programs that enable and empower them to manage their physical and psychological needs in an efficient manner.
- Basic home management skills from identification of grains and spices to cooking safely with fire.
- Sessions on sex education and health & safety across various topics.
At Mitra Jyothi, students can also access –
- Educational and non-educational material prepared at the Talking Book Library and the Braille Press. These are two prestigious programs of the institution, for seamless learning.
- Students under the Higher Education Program at Mitra Jyothi are given an opportunity to explore mainstream education by providing them with in-house boarding and lodging facilities for the entire duration of their course.
- This is a life changing experience for them as they develop wings and fly into a world full of opportunity, envisioning a beautiful future, where they can stand on their own feet and lead an independent life.
- We also help them with job placements, and help them secure a good job with socio economic security, amongst other things.
This is what some of our beneficiaries have to say -
“Thanks to Mitra Jyothi and their wonderful team, we were pulled out of darkness and shown a path we could travel to realize our dreams. We got an opportunity to pursue higher studies. We consider ourselves very fortunate and lucky to be given this opportunity. There are many children like us who do not get the opportunity to even attend primary education. Many visually impaired girls are not allowed to step out of their homes as parents are worried about their safety and security. But Mitra Jyothi has built our confidence and post our under grad studies, we would like to sit for competitive exams and find suitable jobs, or we may complete our post-graduation and then look for employment. We want to be financially and economically independent individuals.”
“Even without sight there is Vision”
Prathibha listening to her teacher - Daisy player
Under grad students studying