Beach Cleanup Vilanculos 2023

by ParCo - Associação dos Parceiros Comunitários
Beach Cleanup Vilanculos 2023
Beach Cleanup Vilanculos 2023
Beach Cleanup Vilanculos 2023
Beach Cleanup Vilanculos 2023
Beach Cleanup Vilanculos 2023
Beach Cleanup Vilanculos 2023
Beach Cleanup Vilanculos 2023
Beach Cleanup Vilanculos 2023
Beach Cleanup Vilanculos 2023
Beach Cleanup Vilanculos 2023
Beach Cleanup Vilanculos 2023
Beach Cleanup Vilanculos 2023
Beach Cleanup Vilanculos 2023
Beach Cleanup Vilanculos 2023
Beach Cleanup Vilanculos 2023
Beach Cleanup Vilanculos 2023
Beach Cleanup Vilanculos 2023
Beach Cleanup Vilanculos 2023
Beach Cleanup Vilanculos 2023
Beach Cleanup Vilanculos 2023
Beach Cleanup Vilanculos 2023
Beach Cleanup Vilanculos 2023
Beach Cleanup Vilanculos 2023
Beach Cleanup Vilanculos 2023
Beach Cleanup Vilanculos 2023
Beach Cleanup Vilanculos 2023
Beach Cleanup Vilanculos 2023
Beach Cleanup Vilanculos 2023
Beach Cleanup Vilanculos 2023
Beach Cleanup Vilanculos 2023
Beach Cleanup Vilanculos 2023
Beach Cleanup Vilanculos 2023

Summary

Every week, 25 volunteers cover 17 kilometers of beach removing about 7.5 tons of litter per year - of which about 1.2 tons gets recycled. The partnership that provided funding in 2022 came to an end. Fortunately a local business has committed to covering 25% of the project's annual budget of $6,243. With your help, we are raising the other 75%. Our team of out of work youth and elders with a passion for conservation are counting on your support to keep plastic out of the Indian Ocean in 2023!

$4,682
total goal
$1,772
remaining
22
donors
1
monthly donor
14
days

Challenge

Plastic washes up on the pristine beaches and mangrove forests of Vilanculos with every tide. If it's not recovered, plastic stays in the ocean and breaks down into microplastic that is harms the ecosystem and eventually enters our food-chain. As long as single use plastics are legal on this planet, we have to do what we can to keep them out of the ocean.

Solution

By engaging out-of-work youth and elders to clear waste from the entire coast of Vilankulo every Saturday, we keep about 7.5 tons of waste out of the ocean every year. They work in teams waking up early and walking along the beaches filling up sacks with every inorganic scrap they find. The filled sacks are collected in ParCo's pick-up truck and taken to the plastic center to be cleaned and separated - about 1.2 tons of the separated plastic and aluminum are recycled each year.

Long-Term Impact

The problem of ocean plastic requires multi-layered solutions. Our work to keep beaches clean helps keep the oceans plastic out of the ocean, for the health of marine life now and for future decades in which plastic can break down and wreak havoc. Our work disrupts the leakage of plastic into the marine ecosystem and also spreads awareness about the importance of environmental stewardship that will help usher in policies to "turn off the tap" of single use plastics in our life time.

Resources

Organization Information

ParCo - Associação dos Parceiros Comunitários

Location: Vilankulo, Inhambane - Mozambique
Website:
Facebook: Facebook Page
Project Leader:
Juliet Lyon
Vilankulo, Inhambane Mozambique
$2,910 raised of $4,682 goal
 
23 donations
$1,772 to go
Donate Now
lock
Donating through GlobalGiving is safe, secure, and easy with many payment options to choose from. View other ways to donate

ParCo - Associação dos Parceiros Comunitários has earned this recognition on GlobalGiving:

Help raise money!

Support this important cause by creating a personalized fundraising page.

Start a Fundraiser

Learn more about GlobalGiving

Teenage Science Students
Vetting +
Due Diligence

Snorkeler
Our
Impact

Woman Holding a Gift Card
Give
Gift Cards

Young Girl with a Bicycle
GlobalGiving
Guarantee

Sign up for the GlobalGiving Newsletter

WARNING: Javascript is currently disabled or is not available in your browser. GlobalGiving makes extensive use of Javascript and will not function properly with Javascript disabled. Please enable Javascript and refresh this page.