Project Leadership during Covid
Despite the uncertainties. the stops and starts, and the turmoil of this past year, we are finally getting the opportunity to begin our training program this week! We have identified and accepted 12 young adults for our 4-week training program, and look forward to providing them with several months of follow-up coaching, as some of them build new businesses together and others become more ready for the regular workforce.
Covid-19 restrictions mean that we have had to modify how we would usually gather and usually teach this program:
- everyone (participants, leaders) is screened daily for possible Covid symptoms
- to reduce the numbers of people possibly coming into contact with each other, we have divided our learning community into smaller groups in 2 different rooms, with appropriate distancing between everyone
- when not seated eating or drinking, everyone must remained masked
- our mid-afternoon break gets everyone outside for a quick walk, while we open up each training room for a fresh air exchange
- our partner/co-leader, Rebekah Cant, from the Neil Squire Society, is providing key leadership from a distance, via online conferencing tools
- local business leader guests are coming in by Zoom, as we can't go visit them in their businesses
- we have also had to modify some activities so that there is no sharing of handout materials
Ever the optimists, we feel that this is an opportune time to take another look at our local business sector, and think perhaps differently about what a 'good business idea' will look like in our post-Covid future. We can learn so much from the local businesses that have been able to find success in the ever-changing present, and will listen keenly to their advice.
All of us sense increasing recognition of the pre-existing challenges that many adults have faced regarding employment, that are simply being un-masked by the current context. We are excited to anticipate what we will learn from the people gathered together for this training, and how we can provide ever-improving and supports and opportunities to this important sector of our community into the future.
Thank you so much for your support which has brought us this far! Stay tuned, to hear how this training turns out!
BYOB grad (2016) supports 2021 training plans