Thank you for your ongoing support of Atlas Corps! Thanks to YOUR involvment, we have grown our community to more than 700 social change professionals from 94 countries - wow! Women continue to be an inspiring force with our community as they comprise 60% of our fellows.
Our community includes Hira (Pakistan) who serves in San Francisco. Hira is an inspiration! She has been actively share her story and experiences through speaking opportunities during the Fellowship. Recently, she received the Atlas Corps Bloggy Award for this great post on the 5 Ways We Can Empower Women Globally. Here are a few highlights:
1. Place women as leaders and give them decision making roles: Although many women are now powerful contributors to the economy of some states, gender equality is still a myth in the greater part of the world. Women have actively started participating in the tech industry, food production, natural resource management, domestic wellness, entrepreneurial work, as well as energy and climate change..... providing women with leadership opportunities and making them a part of decision making can go a long way in achieving women’s empowerment.
2. More Job Opportunities for Women: Despite being significant contributors to social and financial development, women don’t have access to equal job opportunities. Equal rights programmes can invest significantly in promoting decent jobs and public policies, advocating growth and development.
3. Invest in Women’s Entrepreneurial Ideas, Emotionally and Financially: An effective way of tackling gender inequality is entrusting women with entrepreneurial work. By investing in women’s education and providing them with entrepreneurial opportunities, the unequal pay gap can be ruled out from the socio-economic scene, encouraging women to increase their participation in the supply chain.
4. Taking Action against Unpaid Labor Work: One of the biggest concerns about gender inequality is women’s unpaid labor. Many marginalized groups, including rural women and domestic workers, are often deprived of economic independence and many times their labors go unnoticed by society. By controlling the driving factors and protecting women from violence and social abuses, women can be encouraged to explore and utilize their potential.
5. Mentoring Women Professionally and Personally: To help women actualize their entrepreneurial goals and promote them as leaders, mentoring programmes should adopt a more holistic approach wherein both personal and the professional aspects are taken care of.
In 2019, the Atlas Corps annual theme this year is #DiversityandInclusion. It is extremely relevant to the Fellows do in dail professional and personal activities. The Fellow community is incredibly diverse and represents the global opportunities available. Everyday, our Fellows learn and give back to the community by sharing with the next generation of global citizens, one Fellows at a time.
Thank you for supporting Hira and our diverse network of Fellows.
Mark Your Calendars! You can multiply your impact on Thursday, July 18! Donations of $100 or more will be matched as part of GlobalGiving Bonus Day. Join us!
P.S. Will you spread the word on social media? Share this note: Celebrate #DiversityandInclusion with Atlas Corps. #Give100 on July 18! Donations matched for GlobalGiving Bonus Day at donate.atlascorps.org.