Navya Rani joined Ashwini Charitable trust(ACT) at the age of nine when she was in class 4. It has been 8 years since she and her 2 sisters became a part of the ACT family. Having come from a family of an alcoholic father and a hard working mother who struggles to make both ends meet with her measly income, Navya took it upon herself to become industrious and to find her own purpose in life. Then came the days of transformation when she learnt to dance, sing, and protect herself through Karate training and a lot more. 2017 was a remarkable year in Navya’s life as she gave her class 10 board exam and passed with flying colors despite the unfortunate circumstances which challenged her resolve to become the topper in class. She has thereby secured admission in one of the prestigious colleges in bangalore for class 11. She serves as an exemplary model for all those who struggle to achieve their goals.
We provide the academic and social interventions:
1)Education: ACT strives to achieve the same for every child by providing all the educational needs of children including fees, school uniforms; by building independent study skills through an army of volunteers.
2) Food: With the support and assistance of mothers from the community ACT ensures that every child receives nutritious snacks every day. Every sunday all children are entitled to get special lunch.
3)Sports: Physical activity has proven to have an impact not only on children’s physical health but on their psychological health as well. It increases self confidence and self esteem in children. Therefore ACT engages the children in activities like Yoga,Karate and Cricket.The children get the benefit of protein mix regularly and 8 mothers prepare a mix once in 2 months for about 60 kgs of powder. The children use protein mix as a supplementary food.
4) Health: A fit body is a precursor to a fit mind and overall well-being. Keeping that in mind, ACT conducts routine health checkups and vaccination drives for children. About 80-90 children get the benefit of protein mix regularly and 8 mothers prepare a mix once in 2 months for about 60 kgs of powder. The children use protein mix as a supplementary food.
5) Life skills: ACT provides life skills education to children so as to equip them with the requisite skills to overcome challenges. Candle making, decoupage, dance, music are some of the classes organized every year to help the children express their ideas and explore their worlds. Every summer vacation, the children are given training on personal and safety and sexuality to sensitize them on child sexual abuse in an age appropriate manner.
6) Financial Inclusion: Financial literacy and independence ensure a strong foundation for building dreams. At ACT it is mandatory for every child and their mother to have and to operate a bank account.
7)Emotional well being: Childhood and Adolescence are the formative years and therefore presence of informed and positive role models,support and guidance are extremely crucial for the children’s emotional well being and positive mental health.. One on one counseling is also being provided so as to help the children to handle difficult situations, in making healthy decisions and reaching goals.
8) Mentoring: Having taken the roads less travelled by others in their community, the senior students take it upon themselves to become a guiding light for the younger ones by mentoring and teaching them. This creates a beautiful bond of companionship and community