Slack is an amazing tool for hosting conversations, but it currently only lets teams in one or two workspaces share channels. This app extends this feature, allowing an unlimited number of workspaces to share one or more channels. We call this a “community conversation.”
The new feature requires a bit of management. You navigate to a channel and select a topic from a list of shared conversations, and attach your channel to the larger group. To join additional conversations, create a new channel and attach that one.
How it works:
- After installing the app, you will be asked which community you belong to (e.g. nonprofits, startups, funders). You can only share conversations within one of these contexts. We can also offer private communities. Contact us.
- First, type ‘
/community join’ to see a list of topics that you can join outside of your slack workspace.
- Next, cancel that action after you see a list.
- Next, you typically create a new channel in your slack for the topic you want to join.
- Navigate to the channel where you want to connect the new topic with others, then type ‘
/community join’ again, and choose the topic to connect that channel with the shared conversation.
- You can join multiple channels with multiple conversations, but each of your local channels can only be attached to one shared topic.
- You can type ‘
/community leave’ to detach a channel from a conversation later.
- Have an idea for a new topic? Use ‘
/community ask’ to propose it to the larger community.
- Feedback? email with suggestions on how to improve your experience with this.
and refresh this page.