Thanks to the support of our donors from GlobalGiving to the Project “Scientific Initiation for 120 students in Paraguay”, who contributed with a part of the funds needed for our activities. This program aims to enhance the opportunities for young talents who are, definitely, the most valuable resource of our country.
It is the first and only program with these features in the country; it has national scope and proven international effectiveness and has been conducted continuously since 1989. This program consists of three main steps:
1) Detection and motivation through National Mathematical Olympiads;
2) Academic and Scientific Training;
3) Incentive to Excellence.
The long-term impact intended with the program, is the continuous training of Paraguayan professionals in science and technology, which will be the engine for the social and economic development of Paraguay.
After the last report (January 2018), the first summer course of 2018 was held the first week of February. The activities were developed in Asunción as well as in another 8 inland cities. 248 students attended to this summer course, 127 of which received full scolarships from Itaipu Binacional. GlobalGiving donors’ funds were used to give partial scholarships to some of the 121 remaining students.
During the classes, different types of problems are presented to the students:
- Motivational problems, that are chosen to motivate students in the issue of solving math Olympiad problems.
- Challenge Problems: those that need some theoretical tools that often they don’t have. With the instructors’ experience those new concepts are presented and developed through these well-developed problems.
- Additional problems: usually outside the main theme, in order to promote the interaction between the instructor and the students. They are accompanied by different types of materials, such as: cards, balls, etc. It usually is a more playful and open problem.
In addition, the courses’ contents are a support for the training of our students who compete in regional and International Mathematical Olympiads. The next two Mathematical Competitions are the International Mathematical Olympiad (around 110 countries) and the Cono Sur Mathematical Olympian (8 countries).
It is important to clarify that the funds obtained from Globalgiving are not used to finance the participations in these Olympiads. However, they are useful for the preparation of the students, and therefore to improve the performance in these international competitions.
Please notice that for the execution of the Scientific Initiation with Emphasis in Mathematics for Young Talents Program, OMAPA provided its own funds together with the donations of Itaipu Binacional, Conacyt and GlobalGiving. These donations are extremely useful and really helpful to achieve our goals. We hope to keep receiving the support of our donors, to whom we thank for their support.
We encourage our donors to follow our activities through the organization web page:
as well as the social networks: