Our way to BE THE CHANGE
With the help of Global Giving and all of YOUR support we actively worked towards preventing bullying, homophobic bullying and mental health problems of LGBTQ students in Chile!
Our goal this year 2015 was to work in schools, with teachers, students and parents, creating awareness on the issues of LGBTQ students. With the help of our friends from GLSEN, Todo Mejora translated the Safe Space Kit to Spanish, helped teachers become allies, and opened discussions in schools for students to debate and talk about bullying and homophobic bullying.
Why do we need teachers who want to be allies? For the LGBTQ community, an ally is a person who supports and stands up for LGBTQ rights. Allies help students loose fear and attend classes even when bullied, defending their identity and giving an example of respect to the whole community.
We completed workshops in 3 schools: 1 public school, 1 private school, and 1 subsidized school in Santiago, Chile.
- 91 Safe Space Kits have been handed out, and revised with each teacher.
- 20 students NOW have a Safe space at school!
- 45 staff members (teachers, school administrators and psychologists) where trained to protect, respect, and strengthen LGTBQ youth rights.
- 9 allies are now committed with LGBTQ students and their rights, as well as educating others on these issues.
- 1 visibility campaign was successfully launched to show success of the project and reach policy makers!
- More than 300 students are now being directly benefited from the new information their teachers have acquired.
YOU are part of us BEING THE CHANGE
To be the change, we need people and organizations to BELIEVE in us. Therefore there is no other but YOU to thank for this opportunity to keep working for Chile’s youth. Decreasing discrimination and suicide rates, promoting inclusive and respectful school environments and preventing homophobic and transphobic bullying is a challenge accepted and a goal that we are working for, with the strength and certainty you have given us!
Thank you all, and until the next report!