| Sep 2, 2020
Berzin Archives Report: June through August 2020
By Dr. Alexander Berzin | Founder and Author of Berzin Archives
A Buddha statue surrounded by fireworks.
Over the summer, our team of translators, editors, content creators and web specialists have been hard at work producing material in our 31 languages and making important improvements to the website. As the coronavirus crisis continues to develop across the world, we are more focused than ever in bringing much-needed Buddhist wisdom to our growing audience.
And in fact, at the end of August 2020, we reached a momentous milestone in our history: 10,000 articles live on our website. Through the steadfast efforts of Dr. Alexander Berzin over the last half a century, along with the efforts of countless individuals over the last 20 years, Study Buddhism has helped to promote the precious Dharma teachings of Tibet, making them widely available in 31 languages and preserving them for future generations. We are excited to bring the next 10,000 articles to you!
Our social media channels have continued to see fast growth over the summer, especially as we started to share non-English content. During the month of June, we implemented a weekly post from our Essentials section in 31 languages, targeting the posts to particular countries and linguistic regions. The project was a great success, with our content reaching 5.8 million people on Facebook, engagement up over 600%, and our Facebook following increasing by 5,000 people in June alone.
Our translators and editors have prepared 572 new articles and 650 new subtitle files, working out to an amazing 14 new translations completed every single day. For our YouTube channel, we’ve prepared 59 new videos, taken from 4 interviews, and we are about to release our channel’s first interview with a non-Buddhist teacher: Dr Imtiyaz Yusuf, an expert of Islamic-Buddhist relations, as part of our work to foster harmonious relations between these two large religious groups. You’ll find more details in the bulleted list below.
Here are some of our accomplishments over these last three months:
- Translation of 572 articles
- Translation of 650 subtitle files
- Transcription of 12 audio files
- Copyediting of 138 English files
- Tagging and re-editing of tags of 1480 English articles
- Programming, creation of user interface and online implementation of tags for English articles
- Creation of tag editing in the content management system
- Programming, creation of user interface and online implementation of related articles feature for all 10,013 articles in the 31 languages of the website
- Creation of related article editing in the content management system
- Re-editing of user interface for the internal search engine in all 31 languages
- Creation of administrative interface in the content management system for redirects for changed urls of articles in all 31 languages
- Programming for automatic usage of native numerals for articles in the Burmese and Marathi section
- Editing of 14 videos of an interview with Venerable Guo Huei, the Abbot President of Dharma Drum Mountain in Taiwan, one of the world’s leading Chan Buddhist organizations
- Subtitling and addition to the Study Buddhism YouTube channel of the above-mentioned interview clips with Venerable Guo Huei
- Editing of 16 videos of an interview with Sulak Sivaraksa, activist, professor, writer, and early pioneer of engaged Buddhism.
- Subtitling and addition to the Study Buddhism YouTube channel of the above-mentioned interview clips with Sulak Sivaraksa
- Editing of 16 videos of an interview with Dr Imtiyaz Yusuf, Associate Professor and coordinator of the Islam and Buddhism Program at The International Institute of Islamic Thought and Civilization, based in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
- Subtitling and addition to the Study Buddhism YouTube channel of the above-mentioned interview clips with Dr Imtiyaz Yusuf
- Editing of 13 videos of an interview with Geshe Dorji Damdul, a distinguished Buddhist scholar, who is currently serving as the director of Tibet House, the Cultural Centre of H.H. the Dalai Lama, based in New Delhi, India.
- Weekly posting of articles from our Essentials section in 31 languages on our Facebook page (4 articles in 31 languages = 124 articles) during the month of June.
All of this hard work is made possible by your continuing generous support. Together, we shall “Make the Ageless Wisdom of Tibet Available to All.”