| Sep 11, 2018
Berzin Archives Report: July through Sept 2018
By Dr. Alexander Berzin | Founder and Author of Berzin Archives
Dr. Berzin with Drikung Kyabgon Chetsang Rinpoche
During the past three months, we have continued to make steady progress in migrating the remaining material from our previous website, berzinarchives.com, to the newly designed studybuddhism.com. This material includes languages, such as Urdu, West (Shahmukhi) Punjabi and Tibetan, that use alphabets and scripts that are rare on the Internet. Because of that, the open source platform we use to generate the website lacks the standard support for them that it provides for more common languages, like Spanish and French. But I am delighted to report that our expert technical team has successfully met this challenge and created the missing elements needed to make our material available on a truly global level.
Meanwhile, our audience continues to grow. Over the summer, when people are on vacation, visits to the website always are lower. Nevertheless, this summer we had almost 200,000 visits, up 15% from last year. Add to that, compared to last quarter, our following on Facebook is up over 8% to 26,000 and on YouTube up 23% to 5,800. Our videos posted on Facebook alone have been viewed more than 360,000 times. These are good indicators that people are benefiting from all our team’s hard work.
Let me share with you what they’ve accomplished this summer:
- Migration and publication of our Farsi (Persian) and Urdu sections
- Migration and partial construction of our West Punjabi section
- Addition to our YouTube channel of 18 videos from an interview with Dr. Chönyi Taylor, Tibetan Buddhist nun and psychologist specializing in addiction treatment, author of Enough!: A Buddhist Approach to Finding Release from Addictive Patterns
- Addition to our YouTube channel of 21 videos from an interview with Yongey Mingyur Rinpoche, renowned Tibetan Buddhist meditation master and teacher of the Kagyu-Nyingma traditions, author of the best-selling book The Joy of Living: Unlocking the Secret and Science of Happiness
- Editing of 18 videos of an interview with Geshe Tashi Tsering, resident Buddhist teacher at Jamyang Buddhist Centre, London, England, and newly appointed abbot of Sera Mey Monastery, Mundgod, India
- Video-recording of an interview with Tenzin Wangyal Rinpoche, renowned teacher and meditation master from the indigenous Bon tradition of Tibet, author of Tibetan Yogas of Dream and Sleep
- Video-recording of an interview with Drikung Kyabgon Chetsang Rinpoche, spiritual head of the Drikung Kagyu tradition of Tibetan Buddhism
- Translation of 489 subtitle files into our various languages
- Translation of 187 articles into our various languages
- Creation of custom open source Arabic/Persian/Urdu/West Punjabi transliterators for generating urls in these languages. We have made these available for the general IT community.
- Creation of support for native numerals in Arabic, Farsi, Urdu and West Punjabi
- Creation of support for the Nastaliq font used for Urdu and West Punjabi
- Addition of a “bookmark” feature to bring readers back to the place they left off in an article when they return
- Addition of separate Sitemap pages in all our languages
- Addition of a back-to-top button.
All of this hard work is made possible by your continuing generous support. Together, we shall “Make the Ageless Wisdom of Tibet Available to All.”