| Jun 14, 2018
Berzin Archives Report: April through June 2018
By Dr. Alexander Berzin | Founder and Author of Berzin Archives
Yonghegong Temple, Beijing, China
During this second quarter of 2018, we have continued the exciting transformation of our previous website, berzinarchives.com, into the newly designed studybuddhism.com. We have now successfully migrated more than 88% of our over 7,000 articles, spanning 17 of our 21 language sections. Throughout the migration process, we have continued expanding the content of all our language sections with a steady flow of newly translated articles. Before we complete the migration with the remaining four languages, our technical team has now begun the complex process of simplifying and unifying the code for the data base that generates the website. This will enable the system to process more efficiently the website’s continually expanding content and enhance its speed.
Many people these days prefer to learn through visual means. To meet their needs, we’ve also continued enhancing the articles by embedding more video clips, subtitled in all our languages. These clips, prepared by our outstanding video team, are from interviews with many of the most prominent Tibetan and Western teachers from all the Tibetan Buddhist traditions. This way, we’ve been providing a multimedia-rich user experience for our over 3,500 visitors to the site each day.
Complementing our website, we’ve been continuing to expand our social media presence, in tune with the enthusiastic response of our followers. We now have almost 24,000 followers on Facebook and over 4,700 subscribers to our YouTube channel. The videos we’ve been promoting on Facebook have been receiving up to 164,000 views and the photos up to 43,000 likes.
Have a look at what we’ve accomplished these last three months:
- Migration and publication of our Arabic section, having resolved all the technical issues involved in switching our complex layout and format to operate smoothly from right to left
- Addition of code to the language sections, so that their structures operate independently of each other
- Manual redirection of over 2,000 urls from the old site to urls on the new one that could not be done through an automated script – enabling search engines to correctly connect users to the articles they’re seeking
- Addition to our YouTube channel of 18 videos from an interview with Geshe Lhakdor, Director of the Library of Tibetan Works & Archives, Dharamsala, India
- Editing of 18 videos from an interview with Dr. Chönyi Taylor, Tibetan Buddhist nun and psychologist specializing in addiction treatment
- Video-recording of an interview with Yongey Mingyur Rinpoche, renowned Tibetan Buddhist meditation master and teacher of the Kagyu-Nyingma traditions, author of the best-selling book The Joy of Living: Unlocking the Secret and Science of Happiness
- Video-recording of an interview with Geshe Tashi Tsering, resident Buddhist teacher at Jamyang Buddhist Centre, London, England, and newly appointed abbot of Sera Mey Monastery, Mundgod, India
- Video-recording of an interview with Tashi Mannox, internationally-acclaimed Tibetan artist and calligrapher.
- Translation of 472 subtitle files into our various languages, with the embedding of them in their video files and in our website articles an ongoing process
- Translation of 163 articles into our various articles
All this progress by our 55-person-strong team is made possible through the help of your continuing support. Join us in our epic journey to “Make the Ageless Wisdom of Tibet Available to All.”