The support provided to the National Council of Protected Areas (CONAP), jointly with Seeds of the Ocean (SDO) and the Center for Sea Studies and Aquaculture (CEMA), in Punta de Manabique Wildlife Refuge, through the project “Sustainable actions for the management, reduction and consumption incentive of the lionfish invasive species Pterois volitans (Linnaeus, 1758) in the Caribbean of Guatemala” strengthened the Technical Lionfish Table.
Even though COVID-19 has changed the way we work, in September 16, 2020 the table gathered through an online platform to discuss actions to be taken in regards to the management and control of lionfish in the Guatemalan Caribbean. Representatives from CONAP, SDO and Healthy Reefs Initiative (HRI), developed the 2020/2021 agenda for the implementation of actions proposed in the Lionfish National Strategy.
After the proper discussion and brainstorming, the following actions were stablished:
- HRI will develop scientific reef monitoring and offered a place for one of the researchers to join them and gather lionfish information (presence and abundance) and perform lionfish hunts.
- SDO will support with fuel, so at least two hunts can be developed on 2021.
- SDO with CONAP will review if the research and organism collection license can be extended to cover the work to be done in 2021.
- The Technical Table will contact (Fundaeco) another member, to review if they can support with diving equipment and a boat for future monitorings and hunts.
- The El Quetzalito Women group, also part of the technical table, will organize events to promote lionfish consumption in a gastronomic event in 2021.
- SDO will promote and share lionfish information through their media.
The continued support, through the Technical Lionfish Table, has been able thanks to your help.
We appreciate your trust in us.
We´ll keep you posted on how things developed and results achieved through the Technical Lionfish Table.
The MAR Fund Team.