Thank you for making clean-ups like this happen!
You're an important part of our 20-year-plus effort to defend and protect the ocean wildlife and their habitats!
Thank you for being the kind of person who does takes action.
While it can be distressing that there's so much ongoing pollution in our coastal waters, it's uplifting to work on mitigating the problem with you.
In December, I was reflecting on ODA completing twenty years of ocean conservation work, and I wrote, "It was fun to be with people who cared enough about our waters to do something that hadn’t been attempted before."
Yes, it's actually fun to be together with the crew and with you in spirit...out on the waters and shorelines, pulling together to haul out dangerous man-made debris and trash of all kinds - especially plastic!
Together we did the following great things (and more) in 2022:
- NEW ODA Statistic – Automobile Tires hoisted out of the ocean: 373!!!
- Pulled up 950 pounds of fishing nets.
- Removed 12 traps (lobster, crab, hoop).
- Recovered 45,000 feet of animal-entangling and coral-strangling trap line.
- 450 pounds of plastic debris properly disposed.
- Hauled out 1,600 pounds of toxic lead fishing weights.
- And more garbage, trap remnants, lines, etc...
I hope you feel good about being an important part of the only team on the US Westcoast and Hawai’i who makes these things happen with your support. ODA can only do what we do WITH YOU.
You are an integral, vital part of our successful ocean cleanups and we thank you!
P.S. If you want to read about my reflections on our 20-years of debris-removal work, or just scroll through and look at the picture, please visit this page.