Wing I - First 4 workshops
Dear Friends, Dear Rafikis,
Let's Celebrate! This month, Rafiki Ya Maisha celebrated its 10th anniversary! Ten years on, we are thrilled to announce that our Chepkanga school graduated with a class of 97 students this November. As you may recall, our new Koshyn school broke ground in February and is putting finishing touches on its’ first building with 4 workshops. The Koshyn school will be ready to register students in January 2015.
As 2014 is coming to an end, we would like to share with you this years' accomplishments. From February to November, which corresponds to the Kenyan academic year, 97 trainees have followed classes. Below are some key points:
- 8 vocational training courses are offered: 1. Fashion Design 2. Electrical Installation 3. Food Technology 4. Carpentry and Joinery 5. Building and Masonry 6. Information Technology 7. Hairdressing and Beauty Therapy 8. Plumbing.
- 6 instructors teach these courses.
- The student ratio is 57 girls/40 boys training in the two-year program.
- 27 students sat for national exams and 34 students sat internal exams - all passed.
- 45 graduates have either found employment in local firms or become self-employed and 5 students have gone for further study since the school opened in 2010.
- The Electrical Installation course has been designated as the flagship course for the Chepkanga school and the Automotive & Welding course has been designated as the flagship course for the Koshyn school.
You have contributed to a fantastic success this year. Our efforts have paid off. Let us see this as a first step. Many more are needed. One wing is now completed and three more are needed. Additional workshops, dorms & washrooms, refectory and sports fields are also programed.
We are filling a dire need in the emerging economy of Kenya by giving basic education and technology to the rural youth. They are learning to support themselves. The social economic fabric lies in the hands of small & middle business.
To close, I want to thank one and all for your participation in this grassroots project and for your belief that 10 years can build a solid International-African partnership. I’m proud of our collaborative success at this anniversary time. Aren’t you?
Happy future students
New church gates built by students
The Chepkanga community waves Thank You!