| Sep 13, 2023
SCUBA, beach cleanups, a plastic symposium and more!
Aventurero, Maria, and Aven Coordinator, Claire
We want to take a moment to express our heartfelt appreciation for your generous donations to the Aventureros program. Your contributions have been instrumental in helping us continue our mission to educate and empower the next generation of conservation leaders.
Summer holds a special place in our hearts as it offers us ample opportunities to dive into the water and explore. The Aventureros have dedicated themselves to honing their water skills, progressing from stand-up paddleboarding and kayaking to snorkeling, and now venturing into SCUBA diving! We're excited to share a sneak peek of the recent adventures undertaken by the Aventureros, all made achievable thanks to your generous kindness and unwavering support.
- PADI Open Water SCUBA Certification: Twelve of our Aventureros embarked on an exciting journey to become certified SCUBA divers. They worked tirelessly during the course and are now just a few dives away from earning their Open Water SCUBA Certification. Their dedication is truly commendable, and we couldn't be prouder or more excited to explore the ocean with them in a new way!
- Plastic Symposium in Ensenada: In August, nine of our Aventureros had the privilege of attending and presenting at a plastic symposium in Ensenada. Raul (age 16) represented the Aventureros during the presentation, showcasing their methods and data for combating marine debris. During their time in Ensenada, they also celebrated a special birthday and explored the city!
- Beach Cleanups and Marine Debris Prevention: Throughout the summer, our Aventureros have been leading beach cleanups, following the NOAA protocol, with visiting groups and programs. Witnessing the Aventureros teach and the participants be eager to contribute has been an experience beyond words. Together, we're learning from one another and creating a cleaner, brighter tomorrow for our oceans!
- "Master Chef" Competition: Just last week, our Aventureros took part in an exciting "Master Chef" competition. They were divided into four teams, each using their creativity to make a ceviche dish. With guest judges from the Vermilion Sea Institute and community, we had heaps of fun; it was a memorable and delicious experience for everyone involved!
- Back to School and Beyond: As the kids have returned to school, they are continuing their marine debris prevention project thanks to the NOAA grant. Through the fall, they will work diligently to raise awareness and make a positive impact on our environment.
Once again, we want to sincerely thank you for your continuous support. Your contributions go beyond mere financial assistance; they are investments in the futures of these remarkable young individuals. Together, we are fostering a lasting impact on their lives as well as on the environment, all the while finding daily inspiration in the remarkable youth and adolescents we have the privilege to work with.
If you ever have any questions or would like to get involved in any way, please don't hesitate to reach out. Your continued support means the world to us and the Aventureros.
Alejandro, working on his SCUBA certification
Raul presenting at the Plastic Symposium
The group of Aventureros at the Plastic Symposium
The Aventureros love practicing their water skills
Fatima has become an amazing snorkeler this summer