The Transition Program prepares and supports with knowledge, tools, skills, and support networks our students, parents, and alumni as they navigate the different transition processes inherent to the UWC experience: transitioning into UWC Costa Rica, becoming a second-year student, becoming UWC alumni, and accompanying their sons and daughters through this journey.
- Students, parents, and alumni learn to turn transition moments into personal growth and a deepened connection with our College and the UWC mission.
- Parents are empowered and supported to better understand their children's journey at UWC Costa Rica and become a stronger and more active network of support for them.
- We re-frame the UWC experience into a life-long adventure where graduation is just the beginning of a new chapter.
- We provide our students with traditions and activities to help them gain closure from their UWC student experience.
- Students learn tools and strategies -like resilience and networking -to face the world and find their place as alumni. As Third-Years, they receive continued support from our College while they adjust to "life outside of UWC."
In Memory of Sophie Spooner '09
Sophie was full of life and adventurous. She lived with a diagnosis of bipolar disorder but never stopped reaching out to those who needed her. Sadly, when she was working as a junior doctor at a time of exceptional stress, the illness overwhelmed her even though she looked for help and had a strong support system. In Sophie’s honor, the Transition Program promotes mental health and wellness so we can build a more peaceful world by empowering healthier, happier individuals.