Mr. Nedal E.’s family is a Palestinian family of five (father, mother, 2 sons, and 1 daughter) living in the Tal El Sultan neighborhood of Rafah in Gaza, Palestine. The family lived a relatively comfortable life until two years ago, when everything changed after the father was diagnosed with cancer and the mother was forced to become the sole income provider.
Since then the family has struggled and the mother was forced to sell precious family belongings to afford necessary household items and food.
This family lives on the upper floor of the house. Due to a massive opening in their roof, their 2 bedrooms, a living room, kitchen, and bathroom are nearly unusable. The structure of the roof is very bad, particularly over the living room. This forces the three children to spend most of their time in one room with their parents while the rest of the house is useless. In addition, the roof panels of the bedrooms have holes in them that allow rain water to leak in. Cracks in the concrete ceiling of the bathroom and kitchen present a major concern as the ceiling could potentially cave in unexpectedly at any moment.
All these issues directly impact the family’s health and well being. The young children and the fragile husband run a high risk of colds and asthma. The family covers the roof panels with cloths to stop the rain, but that’s not enough to keep the rooms dry. They cannot afford to repair the concrete ceiling.
Heba, RA's site engineer noticed that there is also an unused open area that could accommodate another room, effectively extending the footprint of the house. So this project will repair and refurbish the house and extend its footprint by adding another room. Please Donate Now
◦ Mr. Nedal E.’s family was nominated by the Al Amal Society for Rehabilitation, a Palestinian NGO in Gaza that has partnered with Rebuilding Alliance since 2017. Our grant will be transferred to and administered by this partner organization
◦ RA’s Site Engineer, Heba El Khozondar, will supervise all the projects to sign-off at each phase on behalf of Rebuilding Alliance
Timeframe and Budget for this Project
◦ Rebuilding Alliance pays contractors in phases. Payments are made as follows: a third upfront, a third following sign-off of the mid-project milestones, and the final third upon full sign-off for completion of the project
◦ The project has three construction phases:
▪ Phase 1: Poured concrete roof repair: $3080
▪ Phase 2: Main Living Space: $3555
▪ Phase 3: Adjacent new room: $3429
Total cost for all three Phases of reconstruction is $10,064
The Madison-Rafah Sister City Project was started in 2003 by a group of concerned citizens in Madison, Wisconsin in order to build wider public awareness of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, and to forge person-to-person relationships that would benefit citizens of both cities.